"I should have known." Bert took a deep breath, attempting to calm himself. "He talked about you all the time. It's Frank, right?"

No. No. Totally not me. I'm not Frank. Is what he would have said if he could have gotten his mouth to form actual words. Instead, he just nodded once.

"You're the reason Gerard left me."

"I-I-I'm not. I-" he was cut off when Bert moved too quickly and he jumped back like a frightened squirrel, the kitchen counter digging in to his spine.

Frank really wanted Gerard to come downstairs. Wait, no he didn't. In fact, he hoped Bert would waste his anger up on him so Gerard would be safe.

This one particular time must have been the one time God was listening because his wish was granted.

All too quickly, Bert lunged forwards, punching Frank right in the jaw. Hard enough for Frank to feel a cracking sound ricochet around in his own head.

He grunted in immense pain, stumbling in to the kitchen table as he clung on to whatever he could to stay standing. In all his life he'd never been hit before and he did not enjoy the experience. Bert had one hell of a hit.

"Ow." He groaned pathetically, pushing up off the table to stand. Albeit he was incredibly unsteady and staggered across the room in an attempt to get away, knocking in to the wall as he fell against the banister.

Bert just stood there, watching, a little amused.

For just one punch, Bert had done some damage. There were enough black spots clouding his vision, that Frank did not see the fist hurtling towards his face, therefore didn't duck, and, as a result, whacked his head on the wooden banister as well as getting socked square in the eye. And again in the mouth, splitting his lip. Hot blood dribbled down his chin.

God, he prayed Bert didn't have another reason to hit him again.

With all the non existent experience he had with getting beaten up, Frank supposed he would have been out like a light, but luckily he was still conscious -only just.

Gerard must have heard the noise because he heard his footsteps descend the stairs.

"Frank-?" Eyes wide, he switched his gaze between a furious Bert and a dazed Frank, who was spitting blood.

Despite the extremely shitty predicament, Frank hated to stain Gerard's carpet. Yes, that's what his brain was forcing him to worry about. Not the fact he was utterly useless and Gerard was stood right there.

"What are you doing?" Gerard squeaked, heading straight towards Frank. Though he never got there as he was yanked back by Bert hooking an arm around his waist.

"No." Bert growled, throwing him out of the way. His anger was solely focused on wanting to beat the everloving fuck out of the guy who'd come between them and ruined their relationship.

Gerard's back slammed against the wall, briefly knocking their air from his lungs.

Frank just about felt his heart burst out of his ribcage when Bert looked at him again.

Just as he saw Bert raise his arm for another foul swipe, Gerard grabbed his wrist, pulling him away.

"Calm down, please." He begged, placing a hand on Bert's cheek, which seemed to soften him slightly. "Listen to me, okay?"

It worked for a split second. Bert almost smiled. Almost. Then he snapped a second time.

"I've had enough of listening to you and your bullshit." He sneered, shoving Gerard to the floor. He whacked his back on the hard wood and groaned, lying there for a moment.

The attention was back on Frank now. He was glad, but terrified. Either way, he ignored Bert and focused on Gerard, who was beginning to climb to his feet.

"No-!" Gerard went to grab Bert's hand again, however it was too late and Frank's cheek flared with a seering hot pain that he felt spread to everywhere that didn't already feel completely numb.

That was all he could take, and Frank's eyes rolled to the back of his head as he collapsed in to a heap on the floor.

-

"Ow." The first thing he felt was a dull pounding in his head, like someone was attempting to crack his skull open with a blunt instrument.

"Frankie!" Gerard's voice drifted in as an echo.

Slowly, he opened his eyes, well, eye. One of them was swollen shut and he didn't dare touch it in case it exploded in another bomb of pain. The light was too bright, but he reckoned he could survive.

"Gee?" He mumbled, then gasped when his jaw felt like it would snap.

Thankfully, Gerard's red hair came in to view and he managed to prop himself up, leaning on his elbows.

"You're awake." Gerard offered a weak smile, which Frank was immensely grateful for. It cheered him up somewhat. He sat beside him on the, what Frank guessed was, bed.

"Sort of." He laughed dryly.

Gently, Gerard shuffled so he was sat behind Frank, holding him close against his chest as he soothingly ran his fingers through his hair. "I was so worried about you." He murmured quietly, using his free hand to intertwine his fingers with Frank's. "How're you feeling?"

Ignoring the question, Frank panicked as he glanced around the room. They were in Gerard's spare bedroom. "Where's Bert?"

Gerard frowned. "Never mind that now, sugar. How're you feeling?"

Sighing, he mumbled truthfully, "Like fucking shit."

Gerard kissed the top of his head. "I hope you feel better soon. Do you want any painkillers?"

"No. I don't take pills. I can never swallow them."

"Is there anything I can get you?" He stroked his thumb over the back of Frank's hand, making him smile fondly.

"A new skull would be nice." He tried to laugh, but coughed. "This-this one hurts."

"I'm sorry, darling."

"Now that I've answered your question, would-will you answer mine?" He pleaded, shifting around a bit so he could see Gerard's face, though his hair hid most of it.

He frowned. "I-I talked him down and. . . He left."

That puzzled him. "How? I mean, he-he seemed pretty pissed." That was the biggest understatement of the century.

"Uhm," Gerard bit his lip, "I think punching you let him get most of his anger out."

Frank's heart plummeted. "Most?" He blurted out. "Did he hurt you?" Again, he tried to look at Gerard, but Gerard kept moving so he couldn't.

"No, no." He shook his head. "I didn't let him. I think he was just upset. . . He has limited options, you know? And-and now I feel awful because I've just kicked him out-"

"Gee." Frank cut him off, squeezing his hand reassuringly. "You can't blame yourself for this. It wasn't your fault, yeah?"

"I suppose." Gerard let out a long breath, then added, "I've signed him up for rehab. His dad should be taking him there when everything gets sorted out."

"Really?" Frank blinked. "How long was I out?"

"All of yesterday and a lot of today."

"Oh." He sucked in a deep breath, feeling a stab of pain shoot up through his jaw. Running his tongue over his bottom lip, he felt a deep cut at the corner of his mouth, causing him to wince.

"Are you okay?" Gerard asked worriedly, brushing Frank's knotted hair behind his ear.

Regardless that he really didn't, Frank nodded. "It's good Bert's getting help."

"Yeah," he said, "It is. I hope he gets better because he wasn't always like that, you know? He was sweet."

"What. . . What happened?" He closed his eyes, being pulled in to sleep as he listened to Gerard's heartbeat.

"I'm not sure. One day he kind of. . . Changed? I never asked why, and I think that's half of the problem."

[Published 30 January 2020]