13

My legs dangled off the edge of the Eiffel Tower as I stared out over Paris. Death sat next to me, both of us eating meals we swiped when we reaped a choking victim in a restaurant.

"It's prettier than I thought," I said, covering my mouth with my hand. You couldn't see the stars due to clouds and light pollution, but the city below looked like stars bound to Earth. A strong wind pulled at my cloak and I pulled it tight around me.

"I'm not really a fan of Europe. Too many memories," Death said and turned his face skyward. Even with him being backlit, his eyes shone brightly, though something lurked behind them.

"Black Death?"

"That wasn't all me. I think it was God who sent the plague, or was it Lucifer?" Death's eyebrows drew together and he stared out at the city. "Or was it both? I don't remember, but they both like cats."

I tossed a fry into the air and opened my mouth to catch it. It hit my face and bounced, falling over the edge. My eyes tracked its plummet until I couldn't see it.

"So what would happen if I jumped off of here?" I asked.

"You want to find out?" A mischievous glint replaced the darker look in his eyes.

"I'd rather just have you tell me."

"Well, I don't know so-" he shoved me off. "Figure it out."

I screwed  my eyes shut and screamed as wind whipped around me. My life didn't flash in front of my eyes, instead I got 'We are currently processing your request. Please stand bye.'

Loud laughter caused me to open my eyes. I hadn't moved and I was floating face to face with Death. Wide smile on his face, he wiped his eyes.

"That's hilarious, kid. You thought I was actually going to hurt you."

"You pushed me off the Eiffel Tower!"

I tried to move towards him. I didn't know what I was going to do when I reached him, probably strangle him. I swam through the air like a ladybug on water.

"You need to pretend you're Jesus."

"I don't wear sandals."

"Then pretend you're a Jesus bug."

"How is that any better?"

"They don't wear sandals."

I glared at him. He reached out and pulled me by my cloak back to the landmark.

"How'd you know I'd float?"

"I didn't." He shrugged. "I mean, if you would have fallen, I would've caught you. Hitting pavement from this height is never fun."

"Let me guess, Life hit you into pavement once?"

"Eight times actually. You finished eating?"

"If I wasn't before, I would have lost my appetite."

"Good. You want two pages this time?" He pulled out his book. I nodded and he carefully ripped them out. "If anyone has any desserts in their house or bread, steal it."

"Why?"

"It's good food. Plus I promised Uriel I'd bring him something from France."

Before I could question him further, he disappeared, leaving me to rush down the seemingly endless staircase by myself. It didn't take long, but I almost overshot a couple of times and my stomach got well acquainted with the banister.

Once I was clear of that place, it was a simple task to go track down people and break their chains. It was a bit harder to do once I was carrying a baguette, and it probably didn't look as cool.