36

Let's get one thing clear, If I were allowed to cuss, I would be screaming several choice words at the top of my lungs. I had no idea where Life was at, and I sure as helium wasn't turning around to look. I rushed through the forest and through a creek. Water splashed around my feet; each droplet burned my skin. I stumbled, but kept going. I didn't know how long I ran.

Death's scythe grew heavy in my hand, a lead weight begging me to drop it. I wanted to. I wanted to drop it and collapse to the ground. Instead, I tightened my grip and kept running. I couldn't hear her behind me, but I kept running, even as the metal blade began to scrape on the ground. My arms ached and my legs burned. I gritted my teeth and kept running.

Where was I going, I didn't know. There wasn't a safe zone or barrier I could head to. No place to go, I knew one thing: I couldn't get caught., not until Death had the scythe in his hands. If Life got her hands on it again, if she destroyed me, the world would be plunged into the apocalypse. The thought made me pick up my pace.

I rushed into a small clearing, leaning my weight against a tree for a brief second before pressing on. Only when I reached the stone and noticed the circle of dead plants did I realize I was back where I started. The bubbles swirled through the air, moving out of the clearing on a gentle breeze. Everything went still.

Something was wrong.

Metal whirled through the air. I ducked, and I felt the weapon pass by my head. "Can you stop trying to give me a haircut?" I asked while running a hand through my hair. "I like it the way it is."

"I see my brother didn't think to teach you about how this place works," Life said. I turned in time to see her weapon return to her hand. I raised an eyebrow. "Can't you feel how much energy it's drained from you? Your soul feeds off of Death's energy. In case you weren't aware, mine is the exact opposite. That scythe is the only reason you're still standing."

"So, what you're saying is I shouldn't give it to you."

Her laugh hit the trees as a gust of wing. The branches clashed together and rung like wind chimes. Logically, it made no sense, but what did in this place? Another breeze ran through the clearing, lifting Life's hair. The cherry blossoms blooming in it blew away petal by petal, and small sunflowers quickly replaced them.

"Ardia, sweetheart, soon it won't matter if you give me the scythe or not. If you stay here much longer, this place will overwhelm you and your soul will dissolve into nothingness. If you make these easy, I'll destroy. It'll be quick and painless.

"Sorry, but fading into nothingness isn't on my to do list, so I'm going to pass. Nice talking to you though," I said, turning around. I tried to take advantage of her shock, but metal bit into my side before I could take a step. I looked over my shoulder. Life held her weapons in a way that should've left blood dripping onto the ground.

"You're not leaving." As if to punctuate her sentence, her dress shimmered. It morphed into a white tunic and tan pants. Her hair hung loose. The only issue I had with her were the words that came out of her mouth. Actually, the only issue I had were the words that came out of my mouth.

"I'd like to see you stop me." My words were infinitely braver than whatever courage I could muster. I couldn't win. There wasn't a way for me to win. She knew her home. She knew the rules governing it. I didn't. The only thing I knew about Life's dimension, the only thing I knew about the place came from Life. She didn't lie. Standing in place, leaning my weight against the scythe, took more energy than it ever should've. If we escalated into a full out fight, everything would've been for nothing. All of Death's hard work over the millenia, all of the time spent hunting the immortals, all of it would be for nothing. I couldn't afford a fight.