Chapter 13 Grandma Dearest

Start from the beginning

Ami finally was able to calm down and she began trudging to the couch only to stop midway upon hearing the knock on the door. Trying to focus on the doorknob and unsuccessfully choosing the wrong knob for the second time, Ami finally got a hold of the right knob floating in her near sighted treble vision.The knocking came once more while Ami grappled with the lock from hell. Either they made the locks more complex every year or the alcohol she had drank really affected her motor skills.

“Okay, hold on,” Ami slurred.

Ami opened the door slightly peering out with her eyes coming to land on three rather tall women, the three women, triplets turned to Ami staring nervously. Ami blinked several times coming to realize that the triplets were actually only one woman.

The woman came closer to Ami, eying her up and down.

“Yasamena?”

“Um…yes. Is there something I can help you with?”

“You look so much like, her.” The woman said with tears in her eyes.

An equally confused and suspicious look settled over Ami’s face. “Who, ma’am?”

“My daughter, she was beautiful, just like you.”

“Ma’am I’m sure you have me at a disadvantage here. How is it that you know me and I don’t know anything about you?” Is what Ami was thinking but what came out of her mouth was, “Huh?”

The women began wringing her hands, trying to keep a pleasant smile on her face even though, from Ami’s perspective, she looked as if she were seconds away from hauling ass down the corridor and out of the building. She seemed as if she didn’t want to be there, Ami didn’t know if it as because she was in hall way or there in Ami’s presence in general. “Because I’m your grandmother.”

That sobered her up some. Ami’s eyes widened with shock and surprise and she immediately allowed the woman to enter her home. She was able to get a better look at the woman. Even though she had never seen her mother’s face up close, with years and years of staring at the picture of the mother she had lost Ami was still able to pick out the similarities between the two women. They both shared the same brow, high cheekbones and clever-like smile; a smile that could have been compared to the Mona Lisa’s smirk, a grin that would forever whisper ‘I have a secret that you’ll never know.’

Even though Ami was still more than a little bit drunk, she ushered the woman onto the couch.

“I’m sorry for just showing up like this I just… well I heard a rumor that you were mated. And I felt like I needed to come see you.” The woman said as she carefully sat her bag on the floor.

Ami kept a critical eye on the woman expecting her to turn into some type of ghoul. She could hardly believe her eyes and she felt as if something felt wrong about this encounter, but failed to voice her thoughts.

Somewhere in the apartment Ami’s phone began to ring and ring, and then suddenly cut off as if the caller knew that Ami wouldn’t be answering it. Through her drunken haze Ami began to speculate on what would bring the woman over to her home now. It wasn’t as if anything had changed, except for…

Ami’s thoughts broke off when the woman began reaching into her bag. Ami tensed up, readying herself to either fight or flee the apartment if the woman decided to whip out a weapon, but Ami’s inexplicable reaction was for naught. The woman merely pulled out a picture frame from her purse. Upon closer inspection, Ami saw that the frame held a photo of several children, one being her mother.

“This was taken on a picnic when Shia was all of seven years old. She thought she was so adult then, wanting to be in charge of all the little cubs. She always played by her own rules and was the most stubborn child I ever gave birth to.” The woman said staring at the picture, smiling at some distant memory.