Chapter 12 Something to Talk About

A sickened feeling settled in the pit of Ami’s stomach, it began to roll and churn, readying itself to empty its contents. Ami didn’t want to look at Ty at the moment. She didn’t want to read his expression of having been proved right. She didn’t want to have to deal with this mess because it seemed so much bigger than her. It was bigger than she was, bigger than she wanted to admit even to herself.

Ty could sense the barrage of emotions running through Ami’s mind. Though she was careful to keep her facial expression lax Ty could tell that her mind was running full speed. She was so contained within her own thoughts that she didn’t hear her cell phone humming and buzzing from her bag. He wanted to comfort her in some same way but he didn’t know how. A king of beasts he was but a man in tune with females he was not.

Ami and Ty quickly reached her apartment, when the car finally stopped rolling Ami turned to Ty. “I know we need to talk but I just need some time alone right now. My head is…just not right. I need time to let everything sink in.”

Choosing to remain silent, in full support of her taking time for herself, he secretly thanked the Gods for the time as well; he too needed time to focus on all the turns his life had suddenly taken. But something inside him, more than likely his beast, wanted to deny her the time to herself and simply make her see how important she was to him. “I can deal with that, but please remember that you and I need to talk, okay?”

“Yes,” she said as she leaned up and kissed him on the lips, “Thank you for understanding.” She silently slipped out of the car headed towards her apartment. She had just let herself in when her cell phone chimed alerting her to a received text message, but she didn’t feel like hearing anymore news, bad or good.

So this is what her life had turned into, she thought to herself. She was technically a promised woman to a man she barely knew, to be locked into a world she had only glimpsed from the outside.

Ami had spent her entire youth being the outsider, the family member no one would acknowledge because she was genetically inferior. Yet that didn’t keep her from developing a tight bond with Mattea. She wanted to resent the Augustine pride for never having accepted her but she knew that a fight against the entire prides racism would be futile, because it all stemmed from the separation of humans and non-humans. And Ami felt it would be the exact, same way with Ty’s Pride. Just thinking about it made her head hurt. So instead, she tried concentrating on her schoolwork. She was nearing the completion of her undergraduate courses and had only one more project to do that she had been holding off on. But, the way things were going she didn’t think she’d get another opportunity for peace and quiet in the coming days, so she settled herself into her bed room with her lap top and got to work, tuning the world and her problems out.

Just like Ami, as Ty drove back to the hotel he was intent on keeping the present events from his mind, it wasn’t that he didn’t want to think about everything that had transpired in the past days but what he was really trying to mask was his need to be with Ami. He was tempted to return to her home and try to make some sense of everything with her. The truth was still hidden and the shit hadn’t exactly hit the fan as of yet, but he could feel it creeping upon them. Everything was such a mess. What should have been a joyous time for he and Ami was turning out to be the worst situation to be placed in. Nevertheless, that was life, unplanned, unscheduled, and, at times, un-fucking-believable.The only good thing about all this was the fact that Ami was one of the fortunate humans that were aware of the Non-human world. The worst part was now having to ease Ami into the situation that he had to deal with on his home front. Perhaps hiding it, he thought; figure out the moves he needed to make without Ami knowing in the least. No that wouldn’t work, Ty thought as he shook his head, that’s how the hero on the movies always created a damsel in distress. But this wasn’t a movie even if it damn sure felt like it, Ty knew with all that crap that had gone down was just too perfectly timed not to have someone holed somewhere with an old model type writer plotting every scene of his life at the moment. Still, he’d be damned if Ami came to any harm just cause of his idiocy and lack of foresight.