11. Brunch

Mark Lee was already people tired and it had only been about 30 minutes. They were all in a café, sitting at a large, round table having brunch. The group consisted of the following people. Taeyong, Doyoung, Johnny, Yuta, WinWin, Jaehyun, Mark, and Jungwoo. To Mark, that was TOO many friends. But he had to deal since his friends cared about him nonetheless. Doyoung was rambling on about some cute guy he saw the other day while Jungwoo eagerly nodded, agreeing.

     "I was there! He's like, absolutely beautiful. Of course, I've had my eye on someone lately so I don't have a say. All up to Hyung." Jungwoo smiled, blushing just at the thought of that certain someone.

     Mark scanned the group quietly. Yuta was sitting next to him, and he had practically clung to the other ever since they got there. Yuta was his best friend, and he was the one who introduced Mark to this group of people; saying it was a "reason for you to get out" as Yuta had quoted.

     "Mork, why do you look so sad?" Jaehyun spoke in English, startling the other.

     Nervously taking a sip of his coffee, Mark burned his tongue, silently enduring the screaming pain that usually came to him when an injury happened.

     "1. Burned my tongue. 2. Dunno."

     "Mark always looks sad, what can I say?" Johnny shrugged, poking at his food. A small 'eat your food' was whispered by Taeyong to Johnny, which in response he groaned and replied with a small 'I'm older than you I get to do what I want' that was thrown back with an 'only by a few months now eat your food, hyung'

     Johnny started eating.

     "I don't always look sad-"

     "Would you PLEASE stop speaking in English I can't understand it and I wanna know stufffff" Jungwoo chimed in, a passive-aggressive smile on his face.

     "As I was saying, I don't always look sad" Mark repeated, looking towards Johnny and Jaehyun. He gave a small smile, shocking everyone but Yuta and Winwin.

     "He smiled!" Johnny gasped, earning a glare from Yuwin.

     "Yeah, of course. He's not a robot."

     Mark laughed at that, taking yet another sip of his coffee.

     "I'm allowed to be happy, aren't I?" Secretly glancing around the café, he spots Haechan - of all people it had to be Haechan! - working at the cash register. He kept his focus there until Doyoung noticed and turned to where Mark was looking.

     "Oh, Donghyuck, how convenient. I was gonna speak to him after this. Hear of the thing he did?" Doyoung smiled a little bit, everyone but Mark shaking their head no. "He beat up Zhong Chenle's roommate, apparently the dude had been beating and bullying Chenle for being gay."

     "Zhong Chenle????? The child prodigy???????" Taeyong's eyes were wide, placing his cup of tea down. Doyoung simply nodded.

     "He's gay?????" Everyone but Doyoung said in unison, all shocked.

     "Apparently. I was talking to someone on the 4th floor and heard screaming so I went to the room, found the man pinned on the floor by Donghyuck. At first I thought that the kid had lost it and then Chenle came running to me like a lost dog. Poor kid."

     "Haechan told me while we were shopping...he said that Chenle was literally shaking when that dude got near him. That's really gonna leave some scars." Mark hummed, looking back at Hyuck and totally zoning out.

     "Soooo...What happened to the dude?" Johnny spoke.

     "Calico Teresa Dunn. Being held in jail with no bond. He's gonna be charged with a whole bunch of stuff, I hear from my co-worker he's gonna be charged with attempted murder, but that's just a rumor. What kind of name is Calico? His parents must've been wacky." Yuta laughed, getting a phone call. He stood up, excusing himself to a more private place. He comes back around 7 minutes later, sitting back down.

     "-And not a day later I got Chenle a new roommate. He seems pretty happy now" Doyoung took a sip of his coffee, smiling to himself.

     "Oh that's good, and sorry about that my co-worker called with a funny story. We made a promise to share anything funny that happened at work" Mr. Nakamoto held his boyfriend's hand under the table, grabbing his coffee with his other hand and taking a drink.

     "So what happened this time?" Winwin looked over at him and everyone's focus went to Yuta.

     "Oh! Jungeun was not safe for work and stood on her swivel chair trying to grab something from a top shelf, ended up falling."

     Mark laughed just imagining it. It was probably pretty funny if you were there. But for this 'Jungeun' it must've really painful. Ouch.

     The rest of the meeting went smoothly, everyone shared their funny stories and cool experiences they had and just in general had a good time. Mark went home absolutely exhausted.

————

     He would need at least a week recovery with minimal people interaction because he didn't want to talk to anyone at the moment. Mark was sitting on his bed, staring at his shattered phone.

     "That's going to be expensive"