V09 - Chapter 110 Battle of Legrath

*** 

--- Fortress Legrath, Heading to Southern Wall ---

December 13th, 2025

As Princess Pina Co Lada moves down the hallway, she looks around at the people with her. Her fellow Knights Grey Co Aldo and Bozes Co Paleti are with her while the rest went with Sharpe. She didn't enjoy her Knights being split up without her consent but saw that was not the time to challenge his order. Besides, she already crossed him once and that is an experience she didn't want to go through that again.

With them are three of his men, Frost, Scott, and their leader Johnson.

While they are on the hunt for General Herm, capturing or killing him would be a major blow in her brother's war effort. What she cannot understand is how Sharpe knew those soldiers protecting Herm were about to switch sides.

"Something bothering you Princess?" Grey asks as he moves beside her.

"No," She replied in a non-convincing tone. "Well. We were about to kill all those men. We nearly had General Herm. I am glad we didn't have to kill them but how did he know they were going to switch sides?"

"Herm killed both of their leaders," Grey replies. "Imagine if someone kills you and some else takes your places and discards everything you worked and stand for. You think your Knights will follow him?"

"I understand that," She replies. As she spoke, she hears two of the Americans fire the weapons down this hallway, probably killing some soldiers. "I just don't understand how. I thought we were going to clash."

"Once this is all done you should ask him then," Grey responds as he looks out the hallway window.

She looks up at him, about to respond. She can see on his face that he already knows the answer. Since the Siege of Italica(1), he has been quietly pushing her to side with the Other Worlders, more specifically, Major Sharpe.

"Sir Grey," She asks. "Why have you been pushing me towards him? To these people?"

"What do you mean?" Grey asks.

"Enough games. I know for a while that you been wanting me to work with the Major. Why?" She asks.

Grey takes a breath. "I am getting old Pina. My skills and wisdom longer are of use to you."

She is baffled by what he said. "That is not true. You have been there since I was a child. For all of us. You were more like a father figure than my father." After saying that she realizes how much that has been true. Her father rarely made time for her, a distant shadow under his cloak.

"Thank you, Pina. But that is not what I mean. The world is changing, and my insight does not help with these newcomers." Grey said and points out the window. "Look."

She walks over and looks out the hall window. She sees this Wyvern falling from the sky as two NATO F-16s fly pass the fortress at increasable speed.

"You see Princess, things have changed already. The world we grew up in will never return. I cannot help you through the change. But he can." Grey explains. "For the Empire to survive, we need to bridge the gap between both worlds. I think he can help you do that."

There isn't anything for her to say. She has done a lot to just earn his trust and there is to be a lot more to learn. And what he said is what she has been doing, trying to find ways to bridge the gap so both people can live in peace.

Bozes leans over, overhearing the conversation. "Maybe, but you could have found a nicer guy Grey. He is a prick and not that good looking. What he did to you before was completely inappropriate."