49. The Question

The three land near Greg's van as they see Ruby sat beside Greg.

"Ruby!" Steven says but she doesn't hear him.

"Oh boy... So she's all the way out here..." Amethyst says.

"After everything Sapphire said, she must be heartbroken." Y/n says.

Y/n, Amethyst and Steven proceed to walk up to Ruby and Greg.

"Hey guys!" Steven says.

"Steven? How'd you find me?" Ruby asks.

"We sensed you...!" Amethyst says.

"Actually we overheard you had ordered pizza." Y/n says.

"Ruby was just telling me about your mom." Greg says to Steven.

"Oh... Are you okay?" Steven asks his dad worried.

"Well, I fell in love with Rose Quartz, and she fell in love with Mr. Universe. Sure, she never told me she used to be Pink Diamond, but, heh, I never told her I used to be Gregory DeMayo." Greg says.

"You are a more mature man than some give you credit for Mr Universe." Y/n says.

"Heh thanks." Greg replies.

"So... How are you holding up, Ruby?" Y/n asks changing the subject slightly.

"I'm okay!" She replies and holds up a box of pizza to Steven now. "Want a slice?" She asks.

"Uh... Thank you..." Steven says and he takes a pizza slice. "Wait, really? You seemed so sad before."

"Yeah, but, me and Greg talked it out. I'm fine now." Ruby says.

"Are you sure?" Y/n asks.

Amethyst takes Steven's pizza slice off his hand.

"Yeah. Sapphire was kinda right about everything. We really did stay Garnet because Rose told us to be her... Uh...'answer'. It's my first time thinking about it... It's my first time really thinking about... me!" Ruby says.

"What do you mean?" Steven asks.

"Back when I emerged, the first thing I did was get crammed together with a bunch of other Rubies! Then... I was with Sapphire all the time. I was always checking in on someone. But now... I can go wherever the wind takes me!" Ruby grabs three pizza slices and three comic books in each hand. " I'm up here, eating pizza, reading comics! I don't know if Sapphire wants to read comics. I don't have to know!" Ruby throws the items on the ground and somersaults onto the roof of the Greg's van. "The rest of my life could be like this! I don't have to be Garnet... I can be on my own!" Ruby declares.

"Sure!" Greg says.

"I guess." Amethyst shrugs.

"Hmm." Y/n muses. 

Steven looks shocked. "Whhhaaaaat?! B-But you guys love each other! You're my favorite couple! You're- You're like sugar and flour, I- I love eating them separately, but I still want cake! I'm sure Sapphire would want-"

Ruby halts Steven. "I'm not fussed about what Sapphire wants! I've seen my own future now. And it's nothin' but Ruby!"

Steven silently starts freaking out.

"Actually this could be what she needs." Y/n says.

"But, Y/n! What if they never form Garnet again?! We gotta get them back together!" Steven panics