PROLOGUE

LAVINIA COLLINS

My heart was once shattered by someone I deeply loved in the past. That painful experience made me lose love interest.

I could meet different people, and be friends with them, but couldn't appreciate their affection towards me. I became numb if that's the right description.

"I love you." These three words usually meant to melt and flutter everyone's heart, become venom to my wounded heart. I don't even want to hear them from anyone again.

I've spent my years without being in a romantic relationship. I don't even have the time to dream about such things again. It's better to be alone than to have someone who will leave me with a broken heart and a lost soul.

Ayaw ko na ring magmahal pa ulit tulad ng ginawa ko noon. Ayaw ko ng masaktan sa sarili kong pagkakamali. Not until I met that man who quietly resides on the second floor of the Lozé Building — the same place where I also live.

Our first meeting was insignificant. We didn't bump into each other, harbor any ill feelings, nor develop any liking towards each other, as often occurs with the protagonists in the novels I've read. Ni wala nga akong pakialam sa kanya. Ni pangalan niya ay hindi ko alam at alam kong gano'n din naman siya.

Hanggang sa dumating ang hindi ko rin inaasahang pagkakataon.

He talked to me, and it seemed like I became comfortable with him in just a few minutes.

Our first-ever conversation that night was written in the dark sky. We reversed the moon and even rewrote the stars. As our subsequent late-night talks sealed it, I couldn't escape it.

How can I tell him that I am into him if I'm too afraid of being hurt again? How can I hold his hands if I'm too scared of losing him?

Or...

Will it also just lead to one last late-night talk to bid goodbye to each other?

I don't know. Only time can tell.