01: Party Regrets

When I was a kid, I thought there were monsters lurking in the dark.

Of course, like any other kid, I made my parents check under my bed, inside the closet, and behind the curtains. To my avail, there was nothing, and while that may have reassured any other child that was my age, it only made me more afraid. My wild imagination conjured up theories that these monsters were more dangerous than I had ever imagined.

But, like any other kid, I grew up, and the monsters under my bed became high schoolers.

"Come on, Jieun," my best friend complains. My heels digging into the dirt is the only thing stopping the boy from dragging me into the large house. "You did not put on those heels to wait in the car."

"Alright, I'm going, I'm going," I say, dodging a drunk couple that stagger down the long-stretched driveway. "But are you sure? Last time we went to a party, your mom found you passed out naked in the kitchen."

"Eh. I'll get over it eventually, after a lot of therapy."

I take a peek at my companion. His black hair is curled in celebration of the party, and his monotone but fashionable black outfit is pristine against his golden skin, highlighting his dark doe eyes - a combination intended to pick up girls, I'm sure. Not that he has to try hard.

Jungkook and I have been friends for as long as I can remember. Since elementary school, we have been by each other's side, joined at the hip. It's not like we never branched out—we have our own groups to go to when we're sick of each other—but in the end, we find comfort in each other's presence.

However, high school changed the both of us. Jungkook entered his rebellious phase, which his parents never say a word about, but I just know he sneaks out of the house at night and gets into all sorts of trouble. I can see it in the way he wears more clothes when he's hurt, covers up his limp by walking faster, and winces when I playfully nudge him.

My transformation was more of an eye-opener to the world of boys. I convinced myself back in my first year of high school that I was in love with a certain man, but it wasn't love, it was more of an amplified crush.

Yet, it still stings when I think about him sometimes.

The large house the party is held at looms proudly on the top of a cliff, flanked by dozens of oak trees. The music is so loud that I can feel the ground vibrating underneath my feet as I step into the jungle of teenagers moving about. The clipped, manicured lawn is cluttered with red solo cups and toilet paper; the windows are reflecting the various colors from the strobe lights inside; and dozens of drunk teenagers are stumbling about, their drinks sploshing everytime they lurch forward. The bass syncs with my heartbeat and they're at the same tempo until I see a certain boy meet my eyes and my heart drops.

Kim Taehyung.

God, the one person I don't want to see.

The silver of his hair glows in the strobe lights, as if someone's dumped a pail of metallic paint over his head. As per usual, he's stunning in an interesting combo of a loose floral-patterned shirt and tight jeans. Even the chaotic light flashes seem to caress the outline of his form lovingly as he looks at me.

He excuses himself from his current conversation at the kitchen counter and strides over to where I am with Jungkook. I tug at Jungkook's arm, trying to escape the situation, but Taehyung has me trapped. Deep, passionate eyes peer into mine, and although I don't see his boxy lips moving, I can hear his voice ringing in my ears.

His deep, smooth, buttery voice.

"What are you doing here?"

It comes out accusatory, like I'm some intruder. His eyes narrow in the slightest and it sends a shudder down my spine. Ever since I asked him out and got rejected, he doesn't exactly appreciate my presence anymore.