00: The Alpha

He can't hear his own heavy breathing over the echo of the howls.

It's a cold night, if anything. No, it's not just cold, it's freezing. The biting wind feels like a thousand daggers impaling him with each gust that blows against his bruised and battered body. His lungs are burning for oxygen, but it hurts his diaphragm to take in too deep of a breath.

He tries to convince himself that he must be in his fearscape, but it feels too real.

The darkness is too suffocating, the blood too hot on his skin. His eyes are burning so intensely, and streaming as he limps because it's a pain that he's never felt before. Everything in him raging in fear and horror is overwhelmingly surreal, too horrible to be confined to a dream world.

Flickers of memories flash through his head, and he's still in disbelief that the sweetest rose turned out to have the sharpest thorns. A torrent of questions run like adrenaline through his head, and it almost makes him forget about the pain. Almost.

The wound sunk deep into his arm is throbbing, blood dripping down so his hand is soaked, too. He can't tell how bad it is; it's too pitch-black in between the solitary monoliths blocking out any trace of the moon's light. Usually his eyes could find the path with this little light, but the blood loss and adrenaline is making him unbearably shaky.

He can feel his heart thundering in his chest, his limbs aching as if lightning bolts are shooting through them. The corners of his visions curl into darkness and he's not sure if it's him or the inky night sky. The pain in his heart seems to be a fusion of his own defeat and the searing jab of betrayal.

He, the once most powerful alpha, has never felt this defeated.

If his body is in pain, the tethered remains of his heart are in agony. He was the alpha. He loved them all. What has he done for this to be his fate? Hunted like an injured deer by the ones he had once devoted his whole being too. The one he loved above all else turning with teeth lunging for his throat and a knife for his back.

His pack is gone. He has no one, and the only thing he can do is rise from the ashes like a phoenix. But he's on the ground, his embers dying, crackling like the twigs and branches under his body.

When did he even fall? He can't remember the point when his legs gave out from under him.

He shouldn't be this weak.

The howls are still coming. He should still be going.

He's the alpha.

He pushes himself up, ignoring the unstable coldness sinking like heavy, wet stones into his body. He knows he's losing blood. He knows he has to get away, to where they can't trace his scent.

A breath escapes his lips, taking his willpower to be strong along with it, but he steels his nerves. He can't afford to be weak; he is the predator, not the prey.

For a moment, he wonders why he's even trying. Every meaningful thing in his life is running on four paws behind him, waiting to tear out his throat with sharp teeth and an even more vicious lack of mercy.

But he's the alpha.

He can't just lay down and die.

Keep going. One more step. One more breath.

"One more step," he chants weakly. "One more step. One more step."

It hurts every time, but every sharp stab of pain is a reminder.

He is strong.

He is mighty.

Maybe they don't accept him. Maybe he didn't deserve them.

But he is the alpha.

And when the moon sets, and the sun rises, and his wounds clot and dry, he still will be.

With or without his pack.

[ PB's A/N]
WELCOME TO THE COLLAB
@asakayu (Alice) and I are super excited to present this very abruptly-decided-upon collab that's turning out pretty cool 😆
Because who can turn down a BTS werewolf fic?
We wrote this prologue together, and from here on out we'll switch up writing the chapters.

[asakayu's A/N]
Hi, it's Alice! I'm super hyped to write this with Tori and very excited for how it's gonna turn out. Very grateful to write with such an amazing author and proud of how much we grinded on this book the past few days ❤️Thank you for your support and I hope you enjoy this book!

P.S.
Y'all do us a favor and vote down below for the book cover you like best!
Thank you for reading!
❤️PB

Y'all do us a favor and vote down below for the book cover you like best! Thank you for reading! ❤️PB