Chapter One

It was quite early in the morning when Gulf was sitting in the waiting room for a designated employee to show him through the office to his table. He wanted to get over with this dreadful waiting. He had heard so much about this publication in his previous office. It was very tough to get through, and if you did, you can be considered the best that's out there. The office timings were 8.30 am to 5.30 pm. However, being the early riser since childhood, he reached office at 7.30 am. It was a habit that his mother had taught him and could teach only him because her other two kids were as lazy as a sloth. But they were notorious, trouble makers and what not. They definitely took after her in these traits. Whereas Gulf, who was diligent, smart and responsible, took after his father, just like he did for the love of books. His mother was a sharp and smart woman, who knew how to get things done her way. After all it's not easy to run successful business in Bangkok. She was the proud owner of "The Yoo Café" where all young and old would swarm over, drink coffee, chat and laugh, keeping it lively and running. Gulf too was capable of manipulation, but he kept that weapon hidden, only to reveal it when necessary. For instance, he could manage Perth, his younger brother, when he went into hysterics to buy a new bicycle. Gulf offered him his, stating that he was making immense sacrifice for his little brother by gifting him his favorite bicycle and in return to promise to keep it safe, when Gulf was getting a motorbike for himself. It's not that they are poor, and his parents couldn't afford a bicycle for Perth, but his parents always taught them to spend only how much is needed, if you could make do with what you have, avoid unnecessary attractions. That bicycle was then passed on to Ubon, their younger sister, when Perth got Gulf's motorbike in return. Gulf always took care of his things; therefore it was difficult to even find a single problem with his used items and Perth was always the proud owner to Gulf's used items.

It was almost 8.15 am when Coates Samantha, aka Sam, came to meet him in the waiting area.

"Mr. Gulf Yoosamran?" She called out.

Upon hearing his name, Gulf got up from his seat to shake hands with Sam.

"Hi Gulf. I am Coates Samantha. Call me Sam." She introduced herself.

"Hi Sam." Gulf greeted her.

"So Gulf, first day. Welcome to our team. Let me take you to your workstation." She gave the usual business smile, like it had not meaning to it. Gulf already has some work experience, else he would have felt unwanted right now.

Gulf nodded and followed her. He was taken to a huge room that smelled of books, coffee and dreariness. His expressions made Sam chuckle, a different from the earlier.

"Well this is the peak period, Gulf. We have immediate deliverable. Let me introduce you to the team. We have twenty people in our team. Our team has two Content Resources deal with the agents or the authors themselves, create the requirement, set meetings with our head and marketing head to decide on the manuscripts selected for us to work upon. We have ten editors who do the proofreading, add bibliographies and so on. The finalized manuscripts go to our Chief Editor for final look which is then passed on to the production department, we have three production team members there. The production team has designer and developers who handle the book cover, which has four members. We have one resource who handles the publishing, after which the marketing teams takes control of the advertising, promotion and publicity of the book."

Gulf was listening intently. Sam looked at him and smiled.

"Overwhelming?" She asked. Gulf, as though awakened, smiled back, "a little Sam."

"Well, you will get used to it once you are in the process. I head the proofreading department. We are ten members, including you. You will be reporting to the Chief Editor for now, until he decides otherwise."