S T - Mike Wheeler | male!oc

Fandom(s): Stranger Things
Word Count: 4,400

Trigger Warning: gay slur, internalized homophobia, mentions of homophobia, racism, sexism, abuse etc.

     Mike never felt the way about Eleven he was supposed to

     Mike never felt the way about Eleven he was supposed to. Mike supposed he may just be broken. Or just late. Or maybe feelings were very much over exaggerated. And by god, kissing? Mike didn't understand. He was sixteen now and he felt like such a fucking fool. Like he was twelve again being told where babies come from. Girls never liked their group before. They were the nerds, the outcasts, the smart ones, the av geeks. And most girls didn't go towards boys like them for their first crush. But Eleven basically fell into their hands. And she was nice, and pretty, and she was protective, and caring, and she didn't judge them, and she liked Mike. And Mike liked her, though he felt the same way towards her as his other friends. But she was a girl and she really liked Mike. So that made it different, didn't it?

He tried, he really did. He tried so damn hard to like her. To fall in love with her. To like holding her hand and kissing her. But the only times he liked spending with her was when they acted more like friends. Mike felt so wrong. He's a liar. And a dick. When Hopper passed Eleven, who was essentially his daughter, moved in with the Byers. And then they packed up and moved away from town. Mike was going to miss his friends, he really was, but he secretly was grateful. This gave him an excuse to break it off with Eleven, he wouldn't have to be around her all the time, and he could figure out what was wrong with him.

Mike had snapped at Will not that long ago. Will wanted to play DnD with them. He wanted it all to go back to normal. But the boys now had girlfriends, and they were growing up, and they've been through so much. They weren't kids anymore. And though DnD wasn't necessarily a kids game it sure felt like it at the time. Mike remembers that night vividly. He still felt awful about it. Mike wasn't sure why he got so mad and why he directed it to Will. But he did. And he still remembers what he said.

"It's not my fault you don't like girls."

Will had stopped talking to him for awhile after their small fight. Mike didn't blame him at all, he didn't want to be around him either. It wasn't because he was mad at him, it was because he was mad at himself. And every time he looked at Will he felt guilty again. But he was too prideful to apologize. He did eventually, but it was hard. And it probably meant more to Mike than it meant to Will.

Many nights Mike unintentionally pondered over what he said. He wasn't even sure he fully understood what he meant. Did he mean that he liked no one then? Or did he mean that he liked...guys. Like a f*g? That word was thrown around a lot at school. He remembers Steve punching someone because they called him that once. Steve briefly explained it. Mike didn't know why it was meant to be offensive. Why people threw around gay and f*g. Mike felt dirty. He technically did that. Even if he didn't say those words he implied it in the same way they're used. To his own best friend. It just came out and he hadn't even really thought about it. What was wrong with gays anyway? They were so taboo and when they were brought up it was to berate them. Had Steve punched the man because he didn't like to be called gay, or did he punch the guy because of the nasty word and the way they were using it?