Chapter 21 - Silvia

Several new vampires were roaming around the complex this evening, and Silvia headed down the halls with trepidation

Several new vampires were roaming around the complex this evening, and Silvia headed down the halls with trepidation. It'd been a few days of the vampires deliberating amongst themselves, and she'd spent her time with the girls for the most part.

Since she wasn't allowed to leave as they discussed a possible incursion, she wasn't watched as much as she was caged. Lorenzo had slipped her out to talk at his estate before they'd made that decision, but since she'd been returned, it had been incarceration for her. It wasn't like she was in a cell, but she couldn't leave the human areas.

Today though, they wanted to speak to her, and she'd been asked to join them in the meeting room in an hour. When she'd joined a few days ago, it'd mostly been Lorenzo and his house occupying the complex, but now the other heads of Angelus were showing up, and she knew that most were not soft like Lorenzo.

After she'd left Lorenzo's castle, they weren't exactly on good speaking terms. More than once, he'd come to implore her to accept him as her master, but she'd turned him away each time. He hadn't tried yesterday, and she imagined he'd given up on her. It made her more of prey than before, now that the vampires knew she was still searching and that Lorenzo had backed off. Some respected him, though clearly not all.

Eyes crawled over her as the vampires passed and noticed her, and it was impossible to hide her nervousness. Maybe if she kept her eyes down and hurried, she could make it to the kitchen to get breakfast–or whatever you called breakfast at six pm–before she had to meet with the vampires.

A hand slammed on the wall directly in front of her, and she audibly squeaked and curled in on herself, pulling her hands into her chest defensively. By the time she connected with red eyes, her heart was pounding and tears had lined her eyes.

"Don't be so frightened," the words were followed by a careless chuckle, but in Neil's voice, they calmed her. The touch of his hand on her face eased the single line of tears down her cheek, and he brushed them away with the back of his hand.

"Forgive me. I am not used to so many vampires in one place." With a bow, she tried to apologize, but Neil yanked her chin up to look into her eyes and ran his thumb over her lower lip, drawing a blush into her cheeks.

"Come, mage. We arrived early and got bored of waiting." Neil dropped his hand and ushered for her to join his side. "We'd like to get to the bottom of your... intentions."

"I assure you I am committed to Angelus, Master Neil. Th-thank you, for guiding me." She bowed again, and Neil narrowed his eyes.

"I am not guiding you; I'm fetching you. I wouldn't want you to wander anywhere I don't trust you yet."

"I go only where the human attendants you gave me say, Master Neil," Silvia tried again, but Neil still regarded her suspiciously. The man was laying his act on thick, but she had to be convincing to the others around that she was committed. Vampires could hear anyone within several rooms and hallways from them.