Chapter 4 - Silvia

Sun seeped into the room around the dark curtains, and Silvia came to with her face pressed into Neil's chest

Sun seeped into the room around the dark curtains, and Silvia came to with her face pressed into Neil's chest. Warm lips pressed to her forehead where he'd passed out against her face, and he was wrapped around her with a hand under her pillow to cradle her neck and the other dropped over her side. Somehow they'd made it back to his bed, and with the sun up high enough to wake her, he'd be out for a while. After lying by her side for the entire night, his body's temperature had risen to match hers, and she wanted nothing more than to stay under the covers and forget the world. With a slow groan of consciousness, she ran her hand gently down his face, and pushed some of his loose hair behind an ear. Neil's resting face was so smooth, devoid of wrinkles that formed with age and serene with his pale skin and glowing white hair under the sunlight.

Why did he think he was a monster?

Sitting here would only be pleasant until she woke enough to acknowledge that he'd be comatose all day. It would bore her to death to sit for hours alone, and as much as she'd told Neil it wouldn't be a big deal if she disappeared from work for a while, she'd have to come up with a good excuse to just not go in. The complex kept tabs on all the mages, in case one got picked off and was being tortured for information in any respect, so she was expected to show up alive each day even if she wasn't getting paid. She'd need proof of other employment to get them to leave her alone, and they'd still call to make sure she was alive.

Plucking Neil's arm off her waist sank dread through her as she knew she'd be returning to her crap hole of a life, but there was no avoiding it. A chill washed over her as she rolled the blankets back to get up, and as she stood, something grabbed her. She bit her lip as bones bruised her wrist, but it wasn't like Neil had gripped her too hard, just that he'd pulled her as she moved the opposite direction. The skin was tender and the muscles thin.

She followed the pale fingers down an arm to find Neil with his eyes half open and his fangs visible as he moved in his sleep. Half wrapped in blankets, it was clear he wasn't entirely conscious as his head sank into the covers before bobbing back up to focus on her.

"Don't leave." A dangerous desperateness laced his tone, and his eyes rolled with a crimson plea as he inhaled her familiar scent. In his drowsiness, all he wanted was her, and he'd take what he could get even if it was just her aroma.

"I have to go to work, Neil," Silvia said as gently as possible, but pulling out of his grip proved futile. Unless he let her go, she was stuck here, save for cutting his hand off. Most mages would do that rather than fall into a vampire's clutches, but Silvia figured that was bit much.

"I want you," Neil near growled in a husky, half-asleep voice, and she did her best to shake the inappropriate thoughts. "It'll be cold without you." The pain in his expression increased tenfold as she didn't return to his side, and she let out a slow breath as she sat on the bed's edge.

"Tell you what, I'll come back right after work, okay?" Silvia ran a finger against the side of his face, and Neil tilted it so that his lips pressed to her palm. The sharpness of his fangs trailed the skin, and a low purr vibrated her hand as he sank back into the bed. "Just get some sleep. You won't even know I'm gone, and you'll wake to my face by your bed."