Kouen: Shadows From Her Past

She didn't want love she wanted to be loved and that's entirely different - Atticus

If there was anything Kouen loved more than acquiring knowledge, it was Y/n. He was never one to care much about finding a partner, but that all changed when he met her. When he first saw her, he didn't think much really, she was just like any other woman he'd seen. It wasn't until he accidentally offended her that he got a taste of the real Y/n and just like that he was interested.

No one, especially a woman of a noble family, had ever spoken to him in such a manner. In the end he couldn't help himself from smiling, finally silencing her in the middle of her sentence. She stared at him in confusion as to why he would be smiling when he should've been offering her a chance to apologize until she could no more.

She had insulted an imperial prince and yet here he was smiling. "Well then lady Y/n" he began, grabbing one of her hands in his. "I'm interested in you now." There were no words left in her mind, all she could do was stare back at him in surprise. Kouen was stubborn and one track minded when it came to something he wanted. He would see nothing else until he had it in his grasp, and she was no exception.

Within a timespan of 4 months he managed to win her over. He would deliberately go out of his way to see her around the palace, making sure to leave her a blushing mess every chance he got. He was bold and direct about his intentions but she was more reserved and easily flustered by his blunt words. He knew what he wanted and didn't hesitate, and it was that persistence that constantly threw her off guard.

It wasn't a bad thing, if anything she respected that he always seemed to know what he wanted. He was strong, intelligent and unwavering, and slowly but surely she began to lower her walls. His attempts to make conversation became more enjoyable, he always wanted to know more about her, always ready to listen. His red eyes always seemed to look at her like nothing else mattered and it was oddly unsettling and yet reassuring.

As Kouen learned more about her, he also began to notice she had all kinds of insecurities, issues and quirks but it wasn't enough to scare him away. She was difficult to understand at first and she never spoke too much, always careful and calculated. Yet with time the trust began to build and Kouen became the first person in a long time, that she truly cherished.

He genuinely cared for her, his affection for her growing the more he learned about her. She had more than her fair share of pain, more than anyone should ever have. It was unfair but such was life. He admired her, and wanted nothing more than to see her happy, smiling and loved. He understood her, and hoped to become the person to help her mend the wounds that never healed. He wasn't afraid of the ugly, because in the end it made her the woman who managed to steal his heart.

Parts of her remained shrouded in mystery, parts she wasn't ready to share about herself; but as much as he wanted to know everything there was to know about her, he was fine with that. Love could be quite scary, allowing you to accept what you normally wouldn't. How is it possible to love another person so much?

He never understood how he managed to do it, but here he was, 3 days away from marrying her and he was beyond content. "Kouen" upon hearing her voice he turned, gaze softening when he looked at her. "My mother..." she trailed off and he quickly picked up on the odd tone in her voice, but couldn't figure out what it was. "Yes, she was invited for the wedding" he explained.

Just as she was about to speak they were interrupted, a messenger had been sent to collect Kouen, forcing him to attend to matters and ending their conversation prematurely. He couldn't help but hold her gaze for a moment longer before kissing her goodbye and heading off, still uneasy and unsure of the odd look in her eyes.

She watched as he walked away, now feeling the wave of loneliness and anxiety wash over her. She didn't get a chance to tell him what was wrong and now she was alone. "Y/n sweetie, I've been looking everywhere for you" the girl froze upon hearing the woman's voice; her heart nearly stopped beating. Kouen was gone and she had no idea what to do. "Why are you here?"

Halfway to his office Kouen realized, what the expression she wore was, a look he knew all too well; a look he had seen in Hakuryuu's eyes countless of times. He turned around abruptly, instructing the guards to find the woman and bring her to him. Kouen never knew the identity of the person who had hurt his beloved, but he was quick enough to put the pieces together. "I haven't seen you in 3 years, and now I get news that you're getting married? And to an imperial prince too" a devious smile rested in the woman's lips.

"Please leave" the woman fiend surprise "What? I just got here." Just as the woman spoke Kouen turned the corner, his eyes falling on Y/n before looking over at the women with her. "Please" that one word was all she could muster, her mind reverting to a time when she lived in constant fear. "Now Y/n" the woman's voice grew a bit darker in tone, almost menacingly.

"You-" She stopped when Kouen step into view. "I believe she asked you to leave" he stated firmly, giving the woman a dangerous look. She narrowed her eyes taking a final glance at the girl he held to his chest before leaving. "She's gone, you'll never have to see her again" Kouen watched as the woman disappeared down the hall before looking back down at Y/n.

There were no questions, he just knew. She always wondered what drew Kouen to her but at the moment she didn't care, all she cared about was that she finally found someone who truly loved her, even if he knew all the baggage, all her fears and insecurities, he wasn't leaving. "Thank you Kouen."

AN: I hope you're enjoying my book, please leave a comment or a vote if you enjoyed the chapter. A quick reminder that I also take requests, so feel free to message me with any wonderful ideas :)