Chapter 3| Missing Cherry

☆Jessica☆

The man looked at me and smiled. "One day when you least expect it you will die. And I will be the one to kill you! One day when you least expect it you will die! And I will be the one to kill you!! One day when you least expect it you will die!! And I will be the one to kill you!!!" He screamed it in my ears over and over again. Each time it got louder and louder.

"Stop it!" I screamed.

"One day when you least expect it you will die!!! And I will be the one to kill you!!!!"

"No!" I screamed as loud as my lungs could handle. I jolted awake. I was wet with tears and sweat. 

It had been a week since he promised to kill me. And every night I would wake up screaming at the same horrifying words.

***

"I know you said that you're fine, but you look like you haven't slept in days." My name was called. I walked up to the counter and picked up our vanilla, McDonald's milkshakes. I sat back down, and we both took one. Wait Something wasn't right. Something was missing.

"Where's the cherries?" I whispered.

"What are you talking about? They stopped putting cherries on milkshakes like 26 years ago, back in 2015, I believe. Well, I guess learning a bunch of random facts can be great for times like these." Her tone went from worried to happy. Narula was a great friend that always seemed to make me smile. 

"That's true. I'm not sure where that came from. We weren't alive back then," I laughed. 

I remember though. It was dark, and I had a McDonald's milkshake. It had a cherry. I dug through my memories. When did this happen? I was born in 2018. When could this have happened?

What is happening here? "I haven't been sleeping well lately. I really am fine though."

"If you ever need someone to talk to just let me know." I nodded.

"I'll do that." I forced a smile. Narula didn't really notice small things. She tucked her short, curly, red hair behind her ears.

***

"Who are you?" I cried. He was in my dreams again. "What happened to the cherries?" At this the man stared into my eyes. He looked to be in his early twenties. Even if he was alive in 2015 when they stopped putting cherries on the milkshakes it's not like someone would remember something like that. 

"You remember? I thought it would be much longer before you remembered anything. Of course most people don't remember anything from before unless they're young. To answer your question, I don't know what happened to the cherries."

"So you were alive in 2015?"

"I was born in 1986."

"What! It's 2041! You can't possibly be over 30 with the way you look!" I shouted in astonishment.

"Your right. I died early 2012. I was only 25 when I was executed. Damn them! It's all their fault!"

"Who's fault?" He laughed.

"You'll know soon enough. Until then the things you can't remember will tear you apart."