Chapter Fifty-One

Start from the beginning

        My eyes narrow slightly in thought. Do I tell them about Jace? I wonder for a moment if maybe Dakota might have already mentioned him, but then clear the thought from my head. I hate to admit that he seems pretty trustworthy and respectful of my privacy. Not respectful enough to mind his own fucking business, but respectful enough not to share every detail about me and my life with the rest of the world.

        "No, I didn't come alone," I settle on telling them. It's not a lie, but I'm also not over sharing. I'm being vague.

        "Did you come with Dakota?" Lilah wiggles her filled in eyebrows.

        "Is he not here already?" I ask, looking around subconsciously, scanning the area for his familiar tall build and shaggy blonde head of hair. "I thought he would've come with you."

        Zeke shakes his head, as does the ginger beside him. "No. He said he's coming, but he didn't come with us. We thought he would've come with you."

        "Why?" They both shrug simultaneously, wearing similar looks on their face which I choose not to question. "Right..." I drawl, shoving my hands in my pockets, getting ready to take my leave. I look at both their faces one last time, both screwed up in the same expression, and decide I'm not going to offer anything more than a sharp, "Goodbye."

        Lilah lets out an amused chuckle which is really just a tiny puff of air being exhaled through her nose. "Tell Dakota we said hello when you find him!" She calls out to my retreating figure teasingly. I throw my middle finger up without even looking behind me before reinserting my hand back into my right pocket and carrying on walking.

        I leave the clearing where the rowdy seniors and college kids are currently getting drunk, and venture off into the woods. People are still around, but there's less chaos deeper into this part of the forest due to the lack of bonfire and alcohol. It's not exactly the most peaceful moment I've ever gotten, but it's much better than being with everyone else.

        As I aimlessly wander around, a handful of people pass me as they head back in the direction of the bonfire. My eyes snap up at every one when I hear them approaching, and every time, a feeling settles deep into my stomach whenever I realise it's just some drunken teenager stumbling through the woods; always a person with hair too dark or height too small to be of any significance.

        I trudge around the area for a good half hour. Twigs snap underneath my weight as I tread on them by accident, and that's really the only noise, besides the distant music playing and loud cheers, that I can hear. It's a little cold, as well, I soon notice, and decide it's best to head back now.

        Not only is it cold, but Jace will be furious when he notices I've ditched the party to be alone, if he hasn't already, and I'm too tired and drained of energy to argue with him— especially over something we're always arguing about.

        We have the same fight over and over again. I need friends, I need to go out more, I need to talk to more people, I need to interact with my peers... blah blah fucking blah.

        I don't think Jace realises how fucking lucky he is that I don't go around breaking people's arms whenever they look at me in a way I deem offensive. I've come a long way in the last year and a half. Not causing anyone bodily harm.... serious bodily harm.... serious bodily harm that they didn't deserve is good fucking progress. I'm pretty much normal now.

        "Watch where you're going," somebody slurs as they almost knock into me, staggering into the woods. I furrow my eyebrows as I watch them stumble by, wondering if I could make their sudden death look like an unfortunate accident.