(4) - Mentors

❃.✮:▹○◃:✮.❃

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

Silence enveloped us as we sat in the train, waiting for our mentors. Our Districts escort ran off to do something as soon as we had stepped onto the train. Finally a male in his late 40s and a female in her 30s walked up to us. They took their seats in front of us as the man started talking.

"Name's Dean Wattson."

He stared directly at my friend, who was sitting on my right side near the window. An ever present scowl made him appear quite scary.

"And I'm Genera Mecha."

She gave me a warm smile before continuing talking.

"It is best that we start planning a strategy in order for you to survive in there. Did you both think of something or do you have no idea?"

I looked over at Easton who took this as a sign to talk.

"Me and Tesla are actually good friends since our childhood. We plan to stay together until the very end."

Both of our mentors shared a look and nodded. Dean scratched his stubbly beard while thoughtfully eyeing us from head to toe.

"You can do that, but I recommend to part ways when only five tributes are remaining. If you make it that far."

A frown came across my features. This man certainly didn't have any confidence that one of us would step out that arena as a victor. Genera sighed and playfully shoved Deans shoulder.

"You should have a little more trust for them. We don't even know anything about those two yet except their names."

She turned to us and once again smiled warmly while continuing to speak.

"Do you know any skills that could be helpful to survive in the arena?"

Her face visibly darkened. A shiver ran down my spine as I hastily looked away. For a moment I had forgotten that those two people had stepped out of the arena as victors themselves.

"I can use a sword and I'm pretty good at hand to hand combat. I don't know much about other skills except that I'm good at patching others up."

Easton looked at me teasingly. Whenever I had gotten injured while training he had always come to my aid.

"I like to think that I'm good at throwing knives and hand to hand combat. Easton also teached me we how to use a sword or better said a machete. I also took up some skills about eatable plants and finding water."

Both victors seemed impressed and quite pleased by this.

"I think your chances to survive are pretty high. Though you must remember, that there is no guarantee that the weapons you specialize in will be present in the arena. If you leave the cornucopia with empty hands, it will probably get pretty though for you. Even a small stone or a knife can make a huge difference. Don't forget to use anything you can in order to survive."

I didn't really expect Dean to talk that much. Though the scowl on his face never diminished. Genera once again started speaking.

"Let's talk about your image. How you look and act will be very important for getting sponsors. The both of you already came across as confident and fearless, but there are a few things I would like to try out with you. The both of you are quite attractive. I would like to use your looks as an advantage, if you are comfortable with that."

I shared a look with Easton as we hesitantly nodded.

"For Tesla a mixture of flirtatious and mysterious would be excellent. And for Easton would flirtatious, humorous and charismatic be perfect. I don't expect the both of you to be flawless, but it would be advantageous."

Silence enveloped us as Genera suddenly sprang up from her sitting position and clapped her hands in excitement.

"Enough of that for now. Let's go to the living room so we can watch the recap of other Districts reapings."

❃.✮:▹○◃:✮.❃