(2) - Everything will be fine

❃.✮:▹○◃:✮.❃

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

On the way home I caught a glimpse of Easton walking with a bag in the direction of the market. I made a mental note of exchanging some soup for medicine there, later.

I trudged up the three steps to the front door of the old wooden house and quietly opened the croaking door to enter. I took my shoes and my jacket off and neatly placed them on their designated places. Afterwards I climbed up the stairs.

"I'm home!"

No one answered, which meant that my mother was probably out doing something. I carefully opened my little sister's room. She was breathing heavily on her bed while cold beads of sweat gathered on her forehead. I sat next to her on the bed and brushed her blonde hair out of her face. Her dark brown eyes, which looked exactly like Father's, watched me wearily.

In search for medicinal herbs beyond the boundaries, she had accidentally fallen into the icy river and gotten a fever. She smiled slightly at me. It broke my heart to see my twelve year old sister like this. I heard the front door open and close again. A sign, that mother was back

"Try to sleep a little more, Lymit."

She nodded and closed her eyes. I left her room and strode down to the kitchen where my mother was sitting on a chair. She smiled at me, the shine of her snow-white teeth not reaching her eyes. Since my father's disappearance she had lost the radiance, the joy of life in her beautiful, forest green eyes, that resembled mine.

"Hey mom. I'm gonna go out to get some more medicine for Lymit."

She nodded her head, but seemed mentally far away. I hesitantly grapped the cans containing soup and stepped outside. The cold autumn wind enveloped me and made my cheeks flush slightly.

It didn't take me long to get to the market. I stopped in front of an old lady's table. I mostly exchanged food with her. When I came up to her she smiled at me.

"It's nice to see you here Tesla! What do you have this time for me?"

I grinned and put the cans on the table. The old woman peeked into one of them and seemed pretty happy with my offer. She clapped her hands together and took out some medicine. She also put a small box, that was neatly wrapped, on the table.

"I saved the medicine especially for you. I hope I can help you with it. And here,"

She handed me the small box.

"Since it's your birthday soon, I have prepared a little present. I hope you like it."

When I tried to open the box, she put her warm hand on mine.

"Don't open it until your special day."

She winked at me and we said goodbye to each other. I hurriedly made my way back home. When I turned a corner I accidentally bumped into something or rather someone.

"Excuse me..."

I said before I looked at the person in front of me. The young man shook his head with a big smile lightening up his face.

"Easton?"

"Where are you going in such a rush?"

He asked me as he stood next to me and started walking. I ran after him. I had known Easton since I was born. According to that, we are very close friends.

"Back home. Just went to the market and got some medicine for Lymit there."

He nodded slowly and patted my shoulder.

"She'll get well soon, don't worry too much."

Hesitantly nodding I continued walking beside him.

"That's not the only thing that worries me. She turned twelve a month ago. That means that she also has a chance of getting picked. What if she gets reaped?"

He smiled encouragingly at me.

"She won't get reaped. Her name is in that bowl just once. The percentage of her getting reaped is very small."

I sighed softly and bit my lower lip, a sign of nervousness. Tomorrow was the big day when two tributes from the age of twelve to eighteen would get reaped per District. One female and one male name will be picked from two bowls, separated by gender. In my case, my name was in the bowl 18 times already. That's because I sometimes had to ask the peacekeepers for a small portion of extra food.

"Everything will be fine, you will see."

With a hug and with these words he said goodbye to me. I silently stood in front of my family's small, wooden house. Wondering if I would be able to fall asleep tonight.

❃.✮:▹○◃:✮.❃