Ch. 22 - Keaton Stands up to Rowan

Start from the beginning

"Well you can't blame the owner of the factory. Manufacturing expenses are a lot higher in the U.S. It probably saved them a fortune moving it to Mexico."

Hearing that rubbed her the wrong way. "Well I happen to think that people are more important than profits."

Keaton put his hand on her knee under the table and squeezed lightly. Everly got the feeling he was trying to tell her something but she wasn't sure what. She looked over at him and gave him a questioning glance.

"So what does your father do now?" Rowan asked.

She looked back over at his Dad and said, "He collects his pension and dabbles with a few things. Mostly selling hand painted car models on Etsy. My Mom ended up getting a job at a retirement home to help make ends meet."

Rowan scrunched his eyebrows. "But you're able to afford NYU?"

"Well I got a full-ride scholarship because of my artwork," she said, as the food and drinks were laid in front of them. She couldn't believe how fast they came out. Apparently rich people also get food faster too.

The steak looked and smelled amazing but it was smaller than the ones she was used to. There was something next to it that resembled mashed potatoes and carrots but they looked different and there was a strange sauce drizzled over all of it. They started to eat in silence for a minute and she took a sip of the colorful drink in the fancy glass that was set in front of her and it was delicious.

Keaton told his Dad about her artwork and then they talked about NYU and how his classes were going. She ate as they talked and it was the most delicious food she had ever tasted. The steak was so tender it just melted in her mouth. She wished the portions were a little larger though. The drink was so good, it was empty before she knew it and they brought her another one without her even asking.

She smiled and said, "Thank you" taking a long sip of it and closing her eyes, savoring the flavor.

"So Everly, it sounds like your family really struggles financially. You must've felt like you hit the jackpot when you met Keaton here," Rowan said, his eyes locked on her with a straight face, taking the last bite of the steak on his plate and wiping his mouth with a white cloth napkin.

"Dad," Keaton warned, glaring at him.

Everly looked at Keaton's angry expression and then back over at his Dad.

"Are you implying that just because my family is poor, that I'm with Keaton for his money?" she asked, scrunching her eyebrows.

Rowan shrugged, staring directly into her eyes with a smug expression. "Aren't you?"

She had never felt so misjudged or offended.

"No! Of course not. What type of person do you think I am?"

He took a sip of his wine and slowly set it down, looking across the table at her.

"I have no idea what type of person you are. Anytime you see a woman dating someone so far above her level you have to wonder what she's really after," Rowan said, leaning back and crossing his arms.

"Dad, Everly's not like that at all," Keaton cut in. "You don't even know her."

Rowan's eyes moved to his son. "Well, neither do you," he scoffed. "You just met her, what? A month ago, maybe? Let me guess. You probably think you're in love," he laughed loudly, mocking him. Everly looked around and noticed they were starting to draw attention from the tables around them and her face started to flush with embarrassment.

Keaton glared at his Dad and said, "Actually, yes. I am in love and you're being an asshole."

Hearing Keaton say he was in love with her made Everly's eyebrows shoot up and her eyes widen. She had felt herself falling in love with him but she didn't know he felt the same way.