Ch. 22 - Keaton Stands up to Rowan

When they walked inside, Everly looked around in awe. It was the fanciest restaurant she had ever seen. There were multiple chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and upholstered seats and couches with crystal stemware and fancy china on the tables. It even smelled expensive, like leather, cedar wood and smoked hickory. There was light violin music playing in the background and you could hear the clinking of crystal and the quiet hum of voices.

"Wow, Dad actually beat us here," Keaton said, looking shocked, slipping his hand into Everly's and leading her across the room over to a table.

"Dad, I'm glad you were able to make it after all," Keaton said with a smile as they reached him, with Rowan standing up and giving him a handshake.

Everly went to shake his hand too and his eyes widened, looking her up and down. "Everly?" he said, raising an eyebrow like he was surprised. "You look very lovely tonight."

"Thank you sir. It's a big improvement from the towel," she said, making Keaton laugh and his Dad actually cracked a hint of a smile as he took his seat.

Keaton pulled her chair out for her and she sat down in it and then he sat beside her, across the table from his Dad.

Rowan snapped his fingers and a young, male waiter appeared.

"I'll take a double scotch on the rocks."

Keaton said, "I'll have a whiskey sour."

Everly leaned in close to Keaton and whispered through her teeth, "We're not twenty one," with an awkward laugh at the waiter.

"That doesn't matter when we're with my Dad babe. Money talks. Order whatever you want."

"Oh, well I'll take a ummmm. Actually, I have no idea what to order," she said.

"Get a cosmopolitan. Women seem to love those," Keaton whispered to her.

"I'll take one Cosmopolitan please," she said to the waiter smiling, surprised that he just nodded and didn't argue.

He went to hand them menus but Rowan pushed them away and said, "Just bring us three of your largest filet steaks, medium rare with the buttery garlic rosemary sauce and whatever your best sides are. Surprise us," he said, waving the man away. He nodded and quickly left.

Rowan looked across at Keaton and said, "I fired the warehouse manager and promoted Derek in his place. You were right. Derek said he was completely incompetent."

"That was a good choice," Keaton nodded. "But I'd rather not talk about business at dinner Dad. I was hoping we could use this time for you to get to know Everly better."

Rowan looked disappointed and his eyes moved from his son over to Everly and he studied her for a minute.

"Soooo, Everly," he said, saying her name like it left a bad taste in his mouth. "Tell me about your background. Where are you from?"

She shuffled in her seat and cleared her throat, looking at Keaton and then back to his Dad. "My background? Well ummm, I was born and raised in a really small town in Illinois. I had never been to New York before I came here for college. It's been a bit of an adjustment getting used to living in such a big city."

Rowan nodded. "I'm sure. So, what's your family like? Are they business people back in Illinois?"

"Business people?" she asked, taking a sip of her ice water.

"Yes. Are they into real estate? Do they own any companies or businesses? Do they trade crypto and stocks, or are they banking or oil people?" he asked.

"No. Ummm. They don't do any of that. Growing up my Dad was a manager at a factory that made car parts. It paid really well so we were comfortable, but then the factory moved to Mexico, and my Dad and about two thousand other people in town lost their jobs. Ever since then it's been pretty rough."