ACT ONE| 15

A Threat

A Threat. A Truce. A Tale.

Varbridge Palace, Ember's Rock, Saprea

A feast was held for the guests for the wedding, and there would be more to come from the Queen. Cassius saw banners from House Arcinov, House Bakir, House Eventhorn, and plenty from smaller houses. There was only a handful of guests that he was happy to see and the members of House Talone did not qualify.

It was the third hour of the welcoming feast laid out for the guests, and over the low mutter of drunken conversations, an orchestra prompted many people to get out of their seats and dance. Cassius was one of the many people out of their seats but he refused to dance.

He stood next to Jhaan, absently listening to him, and one of the guests interrupted the bawdy story that he had been telling to make room for themself.

"I don't believe I had the chance to make your acquaintance when arriving at the palace, Your Royal Highness," Prince Cesare said smoothly, "but I am very open to doing so now."

Cassius smiled tightly. "Likewise."

Jhaan opened his mouth, but Cesare cut in before he could say anything. "I already told my sister that I'd pressure you into dancing with her." He chuckled light-heartedly in good demeanor. "You must be a good entertainer, otherwise she gets bored easily."

Jhaan's sheepishly excused himself. "Say, I'm going to dance myself, I'll see you later, pleasure to meet you, Your Highness."

Cassius's eyes narrowed as he focused on something behind Cesare. Cesare twisted his neck to see what was afoot in confusion.

It was Ambrosio's ghost.

Cesare was befuddled yet seemed on the verge of making some joking remark, but when he saw Cassius's blank expression his eyes got wide and his mouth fell open into a small round o. Ambrosio stood right behind Desyrae. Ambrosio and Cassius stood staring at each other across the room for a moment or two.

"In love with my sister, are you?" Cesare goaded. "No words for your brother-in-law?"

Cassius had been avoiding his in-laws for a reason.

He stood still, not feeding into Cesare's expectations. Cesare waited for a spur of words to be released from his tongue but instead Cassius replied, "I don't mean to get impersonal but I'm afraid I don't like your family, and thus I do not like you."

"I'm only going to say it once," Cesare said, closing the space between them. "If you fail to protect my sister or cause her any pain, I will—"

Cassius gave him a wry smile. "Don't make me piss myself."

"I'd heed this warning, Valicios. You're lucky to be receiving one."

"Should I be getting on my knees in gratitude?"