ACT ONE| 27

Takes A Lot to Know a Woman

Varbridge Palace, Ember's Rock, Saprea

Irene sweetly begged young bachelors to ask Arsinomé to dance, her requests made with such volume and fervor that Arsinomé could only be mortified by them.

From time to time, Arsinomé saw Cassius speak to Desyrae or he'd lean over to plant the lightest of kisses on her cheek for show. But it was his brother, Sandro, who shared most of his jests and confidences.

Some of the guests drank too much and boasted too loudly. Maaiz Bakir dandled a girl in his lap, nuzzling her neck while one hand went exploring down her bodice. Lord Nikolai Stanislaus, who was a sonic and fancied himself a singer, sat at the piano on the stage and sang a special song for the married couple. Lord Alistar, a fawner, brought a pet monkey that everyone found intriguing. Prince Thodoris fed the monkey spoonfuls as they spoke animatedly. Sandro yelled an exclamation and stood in the center of the ballroom with Lord Achilles and Lord Ezio, the three of them initiating a line dance with their hands held on the neighbor's shoulders. Lady Claudine joined in, as did other Sapreans who were family with the traditional dance, creating a chain of dancers.

"Can you believe the consummation is near?" Irene asked.

"Yes, I'm almost getting déjà vu," Isannah said, sounding queasy.

"Are you quite all right, Mother?" Arsinomé queried. "You look a little green. What's so dreadful that happens during the consummation?"

"I'm fine. I just—" Isannah cleared her throat and steeled her shoulders. She blinked in a rather distracted manner. "It's time we had a talk." She looked back at Irene and whispered, "Did you explain to her what the consummation is?"

Irene leaned forward, her eyes widening. "We should speak of it now."

Isannah nodded. "Dear, on your wedding night," she began, "your husband will expect you to do your marital duty."

This was nothing Arsinomé didn't already know.

"Your marriage must be consummated."

"Of course," Arsinomé murmured.

"He will join you in your bed."

Arsinomé nodded. She knew this as well. But by the end of the explanation, Arsinomé's entire face had turned bright red, and her neck and ears had progressed well into the pinks. She just stared at her mother and Queen Irene in disbelief. Isannah's nervous, halting chatter was very much out of character.

"And Desyrae's going to do that in a few minutes?" Arsinomé asked as she sank against the wall.

Irene began to fan herself furiously. She chuckled nervously. "We have more important things to worry about. Get ready to charm, darling."

Irene straightened out Arsinomé's dress and pushed up her breasts in a motherly way, preparing her to parade through the ballroom. She elicited encouraging nods from Isannah and some of Arsinomé's approaching friends.