ACT ONE| 8

Blood Moon Ball

Blood Moon Ball

Varbridge Palace, Ember's Rock, Saprea

Cassius softly knocked on Desyrae's door, ready to escort her to the ball. He licked his lips, trying to ignore the paranoia that troubled him. He thought that maybe a ghost was following him again. It was at that moment that he wished he had a cigarette on him.

The door opened and that was when he saw Lady Cerise lurking behind it. She shrieked and then immediately shut the door. Cassius stood in place, awkwardly staring at the door where Cerise hid behind. He cleared his throat with a cough. "Do I have the wrong room?"

He heard a mixture of muffled giggles and violent whispers from the other side of the door.

Cerise opened the door again and performed a quick curtsy. "No, Your Royal Highness. Please, forgive me."

She opened the door to its fullest capacity and left, urging Lady Claudine to do the same.

Cassius was amused by the girly whispers that Cerise and Claude shared with each other as they walked away. Cerise was capering about in a playful way, openly sharing thoughts about how handsome she thought the Crown Prince was, but Claude rolled her eyes and merely nodded along. She urged her friend to walk faster as she turned pink, embarrassed for Cerise because she knew that the High Prince could hear the conversation.

Cassius turned forward, eyes focused on the floor. From his pocket, he pulled out a box. He placed one foot past the threshold and then another.

He looked up and saw Desyrae standing in front of a large mirror still being fitted for her dress. His eyes roamed over the dress that he had chosen for her. It was strapless, exposing her collarbone and shoulders. It gathered at her waist, erupting into long midnight dark appendages of intricate meshes and small flowers and butterflies. It twirled into shocks of blue, whispering silver hiding against indigo like stars peeping through broken slits in the sky.

He watched her admirably, smiling. She looked a him through the mirror blankly, raising an eyebrow.

He dipped his head down and walked up to her, clearing his throat. He held out a small velvet-covered box.

She'd been so taken aback by the gesture because she completely forgot that he owed her a betrothal ring. Nestled in the box was a stunning band of silver, adorned with a large red diamond.

Her lips curled into a half-smile. Then admiration melted into melancholy as she carefully looked at the ring.

"Is something wrong with it?" Cassius frowned, stepping toward her tentatively. "Does it not reflect your taste?"

Desyrae shook her head. "No, it's perfect."

"Then?" He asked politely with undertones of concern.

"My sister wore the same ring."