ACT ONE| 14

Soul Sucker

Soul Sucker

Varbridge Palace, Ember's Rock, Saprea

In the darkness, Lucius pulled his cloak over his hair and wandered through the halls in search of his friend Sean. On his way, however, he heard someone tiptoeing behind him. With so many siblings and so many guests at the palace, surely it wasn't hard to believe that someone had to be tailing him.

Artemisia pinned her brother with a suspicious glare. "What are you doing up and about?"

"I'm sneaking out. What are you doing?"

"I'm going to Sandro's party," she replied, waving her formal letter in the air.

Lucius rose a brow. "I won't tell Mother and Father if you don't tell."

"I suppose," she said with an insouciant shrug.

Under the cover of darkness, Artemisia slipped through the corridors of Varbridge, hand in hand with Arsinomé after she encountered Lucius. With everybody else asleep safely in their beds, they dared to roam—to spring from the marble floors in a joyful curvet at the absence of supervision. All remaining unbeknownst to Lucius, who was expecting Arsinomé.

Lucius and his friends sneaked out of the palace every month. The journey through the dark and deserted castle corridors wasn't enjoyable. Lucius, who had wandered the castle at night several times before, had never seen it so crowded after sunset unless there was a ball or special event. Sure, Sandro was hosting a party, but those parties usually only remained in his rooms, closed and private. There were guards looking around for unusual activity, his mother trying to catch Sandro.

It was a relief that they reached the front doors of the tunnels so quickly. A flame sprung from Lucius's fingertips to light the way. Sean followed behind him closely, almost tripping his shoes. The ground was rocky and uneven; the flickering light made it seem to shift and move beneath them. Sean kept his eyes lowered, watching where he placed his feet. They walked in the gardens hoping that no one would see them. They walked on through the dense, dark trees near the orchard. Sean kept looking nervously over his shoulder. He had the nasty feeling they were being watched.

"Stay on the path," whispered Lucius. "And stop stepping on my shoes."

Sean slowed to a walk after being warned. He kept his head bowed in case of low-hanging branches.

Once they made it from the garden to the edge of the courtyard, they walked through a narrow path between stone walls until there was a gate. Standing at the gate was Aslan Veline, animatedly chatting with a stray cat.

The light from the fire ricocheted off the walls, alarming him. Lucius extinguished the fire with just a flick of his wrist and stood still.

The boys stood in the shifting air, the autumn breeze causing them to shiver slightly as they crowded each other. Aslan looked up from a piece of paper clutched in his gloved hands. Montez had showed up animatedly with flowers behind them and slipping into the group, Montez waggled his eyebrows. "Are we ready for the best night of our lives?"