31

Amari
Saturday

This lady had one more time to talk out the side of her neck and I was gonna call my Momma.

"Jake, go get your Mom and tell her to come eat." Jake's Aunt said as she made plates.

Jake walked away and I leaned against the wall.

"I know Pat can be a handful and rude, but she isn't in her right state of mind." Jake's Aunt said. "She drinks, does drugs, and on top of that her memory is going and she's still so young."

I didn't say anything.

"That's the reason I took Jake." She said. "Pat can hardly remember the name of his father and sometimes she calls me freaking out about how Jake hasn't come home yet." She looked at me. "I've had him since he was five. He hasn't been with her in 13 years."

"Maybe that's why she drinks." I said. "She's worried about Jake because she thinks he's still supposed to be here with her."

"Maybe." She shrugged. "Jake doesn't really like his mother, though."

"I've noticed." I laughed. "Why not?"

She went to say something, but stopped once Jake and his Mom came into the kitchen.

"Breakfast is ready." She said smiling at me. "Help me with the plates?"

"Yeah, sure." I nodded.

I helped her sit the plates on the table. She insisted we said grace, but Jake's mom just started to eat while our heads were bowed.

"Any plans for today?" Pat asked looking at Mar.

Mar was short for Margaret. I learned that from Jake.

"I'm going to go make sure everything is ready for the Grand opening luncheon Tonight." She said. "I need you to stay sober. That's it. That's all. Jake and Amari, I need you two to take her to go get a dress. If she's going to be a drunken mess, I refuse to have her in my designs."

She sipped her orange juice and Jake's mom stared down at her food suddenly not hungry anymore.

"I'm your sister." Pat spoke up.

"I know that." Mar nodded. "And I love you, but I don't want you to ruin any opportunities for me. I'm taking a risk by letting you come to the luncheon Tonight."

No wonder Pat was such a bitch. They both were! I mean, Mar never treated me badly, but dang. Her own sister.

"You guys need to be ready for the luncheon by 8:00." Mar said.

We ate in silence and suddenly I realized why Jake wasn't outspoken. Why he took big risks, but never expect them to work out. His family was horrible! He had to say things to get their attention and he had to leave it at that or there would be a problem.

After breakfast, Mar left to handle business. Pat showered and got dressed and we left to buy her a dress.

"Mom, try the blue one." Jake said uninterested.