18

Tyler
Christmas Break

August came and went. September was the last time I spoke to Amari. The last time I touched her. The last time I smelt her. December came quickly and with it came all of the winter ball invitations and proposals. Of course, Jake went all out for when he asked Amari and of course she said yes. The winter ball wasn't that much fun.

What about Christmas? All of the Christmas plans came and with it came the constant arguments between my parents, hiding it from Hunter, and the worrying about how this Christmas would play out. Amari and I were obviously not on good terms, but that ruined everything for everyone. Did us not talking mean that our joined family trip to the cabins for Christmas wouldn't happen? Our Moms had been doing it since they were kids and I hated that Amari and I would be the ones to ruin the tradition.

"I can't decide if I want to go with basic winter white boy or swagged out Justin Bieber." Hunter said holding up two sweaters. "What do you think?"

"For?" I asked glancing up from my bowl of cereal.

"For the first night at the cabin this year." Hunter said. "Those are the pictures Mom will be posting on Facebook for every milestone until next year."

"Are we even going to the cabin this year?" I sighed.

"I mean, I assume we are. We do it every year." Hunter shrugged sitting down across from me at the kitchen table.

"But Mom and Dad have barely been talking to Mr. and Mrs. Rose. Besides, Amari and I aren't on the best of terms right now." I said.

"Maybe we'll just be going by ourselves." Hunter said grabbing the cereal box and eating some.

"Maybe." I mumbled and took another bite of my cereal.

That Night

Mom was rushing around making sure everyone had packed and that everything we needed would be ready when it was time to go Tomorrow morning. We were still going to the cabin, but we weren't sure if Amari and her family would still be coming.

"Tyler, if Amari is going to be there I need you to be civil." Mom said. "She's still the daughter I've always wanted."

"Mom, I have nothing against her. We just aren't talking right now." I said.

Mom bit her lip and sighed before sitting beside me.

"I need you to be honest with me, Tyler." She said studying my face.

"Alright." I laughed.

"No. I'm being serious." She patted my knee. "Before Naomi comes I need you to tell me what really happened between you two? You told me you two just fell out, but it has been months and you two have known each other for years. You don't just fall out with someone like Amari. What's going on?"

I didn't know if I should tell her. Mom's parents were big Christians. She would flip if she knew that I was in a relationship and still having sex with someone else. She would flip if she found out that I was having sex with Amari as if she was a random girl from a party. She'd die if she found out I was the reason why Amari and I weren't friends anymore.