Chapter 5: Letters

Shinsou was walking to class. Upon entering the classroom, he noticed Mikan's under-the-weather state. Hitoshi was a bit concerned, "Mikan, what's going on?"

"I haven't received any letters from Ojii-san," Mikan burrowed her head further into her arms, "Did he forget about me already?"

"It's hard to think that he'd forget about you," Hotaru joined the conversation, "You're too annoying to forget, baka."

Hitoshi couldn't stop the small smile that was threatening to grow at the way Hotaru said it, "Maybe he didn't receive the letters?"

Mikan gasped, "Impossible! I send him letters every day."

Everyday? That's a bit overkill. "I don't think there's a post office in the academy. How do you send them?"

"I give them to Narumi-sensei," Mikan said.

"Maybe you should stop sending the letters for a short time?" Iinchou suggested.

"But then how am I supposed to check on him?"

"You can try asking Yura," Hotaru said.

"Yura?" Shinsou asked, "Who's that?"

"One of our classmates, she has the Divination Alice," Iinchou informed Shinsou. "That can work."

Mikan perked up, "Yeah, let's go ask Yura."

~~~

"Your grandfather is at the gate," Yura reported. "He wishes to speak to you, but as always, they will not let him in."

As always? Hitoshi glanced over at Mikan, whose expression had fallen to one of concern.

"We need to go to the gate!" Mikan said, "With Hitoshi's Alice, we can convince them to let Ojii-san in!"

"That's not a good idea, Mikan," Iinchou said, "We'd get caught very easily. I don't think Hitoshi wants to get caught."

"I don't," Shinsou said.

"Let's use one of Hotaru's inventions then!" Mikan glanced over at Hotaru who nodded.

"We can use a bug," Hotaru said, "But it's back in the classroom."

The four kids walked back to the classroom, Mikan in front of the pack, was clearly rushing. Once they made it back to the classroom Mikan was impatient to find the bug.

"Calm down, Mikan," Shinsou said, "Your Ojii-san is probably okay."

Mikan frowned, although she didn't reply.

"Here it is," Hotaru spoke up in her normal emotionless tone, "And here's the screen that goes with it."

"Wao, that's so cool," Mikan exclaimed, clearly amazed. "Get it to the front gates, where Ojii-san is!"

The four students crowded around the small screen. "Ooh, there's Ojii-san! He looks kind of sick. Why didn't he reply to my letters? Why is he here?"

"I think, like Yura said, that he wishes to see you," Shinsou commented.

"Narumi doesn't send letters," Natsume said.

Mikan turned around, "W-what? But he said that he would send them!"

"He lied," Natsume replied, "Why do you trust the teachers here?"

Mikan looked at Hotaru, "We need to find out if that's true!"

Hotaru got another invention. Along with the bug, they snuck into a room. In the room, there was a pile of Mikan's letters, being thrown in by Narumi.