Chapter 24 - Osomatsu's Ending

A name made itself known in my head, reminding me of the one I chose.

"With that in mind, I choose--"

I cut myself off, walking towards the red merman next to the breakwater. His face became more alert as my feet stopped right in front of him, my body kneeling down to meet his eye level. Pulling out the corded vial from underneath my shirt collar, I let it hang freely between the two of us as the sunlight caught the red hues of the coral still contained within.

"You, Osomatsu."

His lips twisted into a wide smirk as soon as his name left my mouth.

"(Y/n), you can't be serious!" Choromatsu scoffed, closely followed by Ichimatsu clicking his tongue in disgust.

"Well, there's not much that we can do when a lady makes up her mind," Karamatsu shrugged his shoulders before turning towards Osomatsu, "Don't mess up this second chance, eldest brother."

"He's probably the worst choice she could've made!" Choromatsu pointed at the lionfish merman who didn't seem affected at all by what they were saying, his arms crossed underneath his head like a cushion against the sand as his expression fully revealed the bliss and contentment Osomatsu was feeling.

I glanced over towards the opposite breakwater, accidently meeting a furious pink glare full of hate and fury. I couldn't tear my eyes away as Todomatsu held my stare, the glow in his eyes getting brighter with intensity. The argument between Choromatsu and Karamatsu continued, but the words didn't reach my ears anymore.

"We made a deal," I heard Todomatsu's voice bounce around in my head, cutting through the muffled conversation, "Now get over here!"

"I won't--" My voice was raspy as my throat suddenly went dry, "I didn't...say your name."

"Then say it now!" His voice grew more and more angry with each word, biting down on the last syllable like a command.

"No!" I tried to scream out, but couldn't hear my own voice against the sudden ringing silence in my ears. I felt a hard tug on my left hand, breaking through the fog in my head and drawing my focus down to see what was clinging to me. Osomatsu had intertwined his fingers with mine, our arms fully stretched out as if I had tried to walk away from him. His stern eyes met mine and I realized what had happened by the thick red outlining his dark hues.

Todomatsu tried to charm me...and succeeded.

"Where are you going?" The soft question didn't match the hidden fury in Osomatsu's eyes.

"Nowhere now--" I pointedly looked towards where Todomatsu was, moving back to Osomatsu and sitting in front of him as I clung to his hand like a lifeline, "I got distracted by something."

He looked towards the other breakwater, narrowing his eyes seemingly in understanding. When Osomatsu looked back at me, the red glow in his eyes was gone.

"Well, don't worry about it."

The conversation between Choromatsu and Karamatsu had stopped when Osomatsu first spoke, the air losing its tension as the brothers slowly left the beach. Jyushimatsu and Ichimatsu left first, disappearing underwater and heading out to the deep ocean. Karamatsu excused himself and vanished into the house, leaving Choromatsu at his post, keeping silent while Osomatsu, Todomatsu, and I remained.

"Want to go for a swim, (y/n)?" Osomatsu asked suddenly, his hand still holding mine. I looked at him, an eyebrow raised.

"I don't really have the right gear for that--"

"It's fine. We'll stay at the surface," He closed his eyes while giving a confident smile. I nervously glanced over at Todomatsu still on the other side of the small lagoon, avoiding looking into his eyes. I felt Osomatsu squeeze my hand gently, "Nothing's going to happen."