Chapter 24 - Karamatsu's Ending

A name made itself known in my head, reminding me of the one I chose.

"With that in mind, I choose--"

I gave the brothers on the shoreline a good look before settling on Karamatsu, the man I knew as Genki Iemon. His green eyes didn't waver as I walked over towards him.

"Karamatsu," I pulled out the vial hanging around my neck, empty of the red coral.

"Wow, wow, wow!" His features pulled into a happy expression, pulling me close and lifting me up in a spin, "I really didn't think you'd say my name!"

"Hey..." Osomatsu growled in a low tone, making Karamatsu and I turn towards him. The red merman was much closer than before, having left the breakwater's shadow and was as close as he could be without crawling completely onto land.

"Osomatsu," I stood my ground, despite Karamatsu's hand trying to push me back. I noticed the eldest flinch as I said his name, "I'm not going to forget everything that you've done for me while I had your claim, and want you to know I wasn't using you for your protection, either. Yeah, I was angry when I found out that I was in your web, and maybe in another universe, I do choose you," I reach into my pants pocket, feeling the knobby coral with my fingertips as I pull it out, revealing the red coral and kneeling to hold it out to Osomatsu.

"But that's not the choice I'm making," I finished with a smile, watching the red merman snatch the coral from my hand before moving back into the water while gritting his teeth.

"...(L/n), are you sure about this?" Karamatsu quietly asked. I closed my eyes briefly before standing up to face him, looking into his bright emerald eyes.

"I gave my final say. I'm not taking anything back," I took the glass vial off from around my neck and held it out to him, a smile on my face. His finger trembled against my skin as he took the vial from my open palm, a look of disbelief mixed with relief washing over his face as the worried look fell away.

"You gave up being with one of us, just to be with some other human? Not only that, but you choose Painfulmatsu?!" A voice whined out, drawing my attention from Karamatsu to Todomatsu, a finger itching the side of his neck.

I didn't respond to the obvious set up, ignoring the weird nickname and tone.

"Tch, not even after what we did last night?" He licked his lips and lowered his eyelids over his pink eyes, "You're really gonna miss out if you go with him..."

I could feel the tension from the two brothers closest to me as Todomatsu lounged against the sandbank, lazily moving his tail above the surface in a mocking waving gesture. I felt Karamatsu's hand pull on my shoulder again as Osomatsu reached towards his own head, the movement in my peripheral vision.

"Are you sure you're remembering correctly? I remembered that you practically forced yourself onto me when I was under your influence," I didn't break eye contact with the youngest.

"Oh, I'm pretty sure," His tail dipped under the water, "In fact, you were begging for it..."

"(Y/n), don't listen--!" I heard Karamatsu cry out before Todomatsu's hands touched my face, my mind foggy as my world swirled in blue variations, only feeling cold as Todomatsu gazed into my eyes. His pink eyes were hypnotic, flashing between different shades of pink as he spoke. I didn't remember even seeing him move from his spot on the shoreline...

"Come now, my little (y/n)...you know you didn't mean to say my older brother's name, right?"

No, I meant what I...

"Yeah..." The thought never made it to my mouth.

"Were you going to say my name instead?" His face was so close to mine, my nose picking up a scent of something sickeningly sweet, like sugar that was cooked too long.