prologue

*edited*

~

        1398

        "Niklaus! I've missed you! Where have you been?" Eleanor ran to him and wrapped her arms around him. He placed a kiss on her head, feeling glad to be back with his love.

        "Elijah asked me to go to the village over to collect something for him." That was a lie. He was off killing people for food.

        "That was very kind of you. Now, I've been practicing my painting, and I think that you'll be happy with what I have created." She smiled to him.

        "Well, show me, love." She grabbed his hand and pulled him into the house, upstairs and to their bedroom. There layed a marvelous painting on a canvas, causing Niklaus to widen his eyes in amazement.

        "My goodness, Eleanor. How long have you been practicing?" He said, astonished.

        "Not long. I took breaks to eat and use the loo. I was just too excited that I just had to finish it. You like it, right?" Worry came over Eleanor. She wanted him to like it, it was just for him. Her and Niklaus have been together for two years already, but she has yet to learn how to read his emotions.

        "Like it? Elle, I love it. You have no idea how proud of you I am." He turned to her and kissed her. Eleanor smiled into the kiss, relief washing over her.

        "Thank you, Nik. You should get some rest, it is a fairly long way from here to the next village over. You must be exahusted."  Eleanor ushered him over to the bed. Niklaus sighed and smiled. She was always looking out for him, as if her life depended on it.

        "I'm fine, love. What about you? It's been days since I've seen you." They layed back. Niklaus had is arms around her and Eleanor's head layed on his chest.

        "I've been great, actually. But, Madeline says that I have devolopped a temper. I don't believe her." She sighed.

        "You always have been a fiesty one, Eleanor."  He smirked. She sat up and faked a gasp.

        "Niklaus!" She exclaimed. Niklaus sat up and pressed his lips to hers. He pulled away and said, "It's true, love. You do get dominant in bed."

        "Really?" She couldn't help but blush.

        "Yes, and I have been missing that side of you for days." Niklaus left kisses on her neck, all the way to her jaw, then stopping right above her lips.

        "Well, let me show you that side then." Eleanor smirked and quickly pushed her lips to his.

~

        Klaus sighed and looked away from the painting. He always remembers that day when he stares at the masterpiece from centuries ago. Tears formed in his eyes as he thought of his sweet Eleanor. What he did to her broke his heart, but it had to be done.

        "Nik?" Rebekah poked her head into the room full of paintings.

        "Yes, Rebekah?" He sighed and turned to her.

        "The Salvatore's are here. Of course, they want to see you." She rolled her eyes.

        "Of course. What else is new?" He muttered and exited the room. Rebekah looked back to see if he was still there, but was satisfied that he wasn't. She wandered into the room full of paintings, examining the one that Nik was just looking at.

        Rebekah bit her lip, trying to get rid of the lump in her throat. She also rememebered that day. The day that Eleanor pulled her to her room and showed her the painting. It was when everything seemed so normal, like they were a proper family.

        Rebekah sighed and turned around to leave the room. She walked out of the room, but not without looking at the portrait of Klaus, Eleanor, Elijah and her. She too wanted to cry, for not only the loss of her best friend, but for agreeing on doing the horrible thing to Elle.

~

        Prologue to the story! Hope you guys will enjoy it!