Chapter 7 - Can we start making babies?

We selected a date, March 14th, the following year and got married. My wedding day became the best day of my life instantly. A day I vowed never to forget.

My wedding dress above

My wedding dress above. Lovely right?

Who wouldn't love and adore their wedding day, the day they vowed to love their partners for the rest of their lives.

Every day that passed, Mic made it memorable for us. We did virtually everything together.

We cleaned the house together, sometimes he wakes up before me and do the chores alone. And when I wake up, he surprises me with breakfast in bed.

We cook together and end up messing the kitchen up. Especially when we bake together, every where would be stained with flour and baking powder.

Our first birthdays as a couple, my number two best day of my life. He baked a surprise cake for me and set up a surprise evening party, with our family members. I was even surprised how he got to bring my parents who went to Florida for a business trip.

He made it so special that at a point, I felt like the only celebrant. He also got us a trip to Paris for the weekend. I also gave him a gift too. I'm not that bad not to give my husband a gift.

Our first anniversary, he made it memorable too. We went to New York. He called it our second honey moon. We had alot of fun but were forced to return because of work.

Three months later...

"Babe, it's more than a year since we got married. Can we start making babies now?" He asked during dinner.

Life has a married woman has been going on fine and smooth. Why did be have to bring up this topic of 'having babies'. I badly know this dinner discussion wouldn't go down well. To be frank, I'm not damn ready for any baby yet.

"Not now love. I want to enjoy the first two to three years as a married woman with only my husband," I tried to explain to him.

He dropped his cutlery on his plate and gave me a blank stare. "You're joking, aren't you?"

I sighed. "No, I'm not. I know you want kids and I do too. But I'm not ready yet baby," I said, placing my hand over his.

If only he knows I've been using contraceptive pills since we got married.

"And why aren't you ready. Don't you want to be a mother?" He asked calmly.

"Baby, I want to. But not now. I'm not ready to put my career on hold for now. Try and understand me baby,"

"Your career? Did you just say your career? You're choosing your career over our family?" His voice was a bit higher than normal.

"Baby... " he cut me off.

"I'm sorry but I've lost my appetite," he stood up and left for our room.

I stood up too, following him behind. "Babe," I called him.

He didn't answer.

"Are you gonna snob me like this forever? I'm sorry love," I pleaded as I sat down beside him on the sofa in our bedroom.

"You don't get it Mel. I feel I'm the reason you haven't gotten pregnant since we got married. It's a year plus now and no sign of any pregnancy. Do you think we should go meet a doctor for a check-up," he said, sadly.

I could feel the guilt burn in me. How would he feel if he found out I'm the cause of this issue?

"Babe, we don't need any check-up. We both are fine and I believe we will have a baby when it's right," I assure him.

"No love. We are going to the hospital tomorrow for a check-up and no buts." He firmly said.

"Okay baby. But you know I need to get to the office early," I told him.

"Yeah. I know. I will come pick you up during lunch. Don't worry about the results, I'll get it myself," he said, placing a kiss on my forehead.

"Okay then. That's cool by me. Can we go back to the table now love?"

He smirked. "I'm hungry but not for food."

Instantly, I understood what he meant as he took me by surprise, carrying me in my bridal style to the bed.

He started showering my neck with kisses and I knew where this was heading to. "Babe, I need to use the rest room," I told him and excused myself.

I came back few minutes after and he continued from where he stopped.

*

*

*

Next day...

"Good afternoon Mr and Mrs Odogwu. I'm so happy you both thought to drop by," Doctor Zara, our family doctor who happens to be Mic's childhood friend, welcomed us. She was the one who actually ran tests for Mic and I before we got married.

"Yeah, sure! It's been a while Zara and I can see we are expecting a baby soon," Mic exchanged pleasantries with her.

She married months after I got married and now, she's expecting her first child. I just hope Mic won't use this against me or feel he's the cause of our situation.

I also heard that his parents thought he was going to end up with her due to their long lasting friendship. Michael told me he loved her, but only as a friend and she on the other hand, never generated feelings for him too. I guess that's why I'm comfortable being around her.

She laughed to Mic's compliment a she offered us a seat. "It's good seeing you again, Zara." I smiled genuinely to her, which she returned, "the pleasure is mine. So what brings the Odogwus to my office this sunny afternoon?"

"We want to run a check-up," Mic answered her.

"You mean a test? And on who please?"

"Both of us," I replied.

"And if I may ask, why?"

Mic explained things to her and she only smiled. "You see Micheal, she not getting pregnant doesnt mean anything is wrong. You both are just a year plus, why rush things?"

"If I'm rushing things, what will you call what you have in front of you?" Mic teased her, but I didn't find it funny.

"Okay, if you want a test. A test you will get," she smiled and got to work.

I had only twenty minutes more of my lunch time and I needed to get back to the office. "So will you both wait for the result or you will come back later fot it?" She asked

"I will come back later, just give me a call when it's ready," Mic replied. "We'll be on our way now Zara, I have to take her back to her office. Nice meeting you again," he said, standing up as I stood up too.

We hugged each other and as we were about to leave, she called out. "Maybe we'll all have dinner together one of these days at my place."

"Sure! That will be nice sweetheart. And take care of our baby in there," I pointed to her baby plump. "Sure I definitely will. Bye guys."

And with that, we left her office closing the door behind us.

*

*

*