Well... Shit.

Everything is black.

The darkness is quiet, serene even. A void of absolute nothingness. I feel peaceful even though I feel like I should be panicking.

That would be the correct response in this situation, right?

I had felt the cement beneath my feet shift, dropping only an inch, maybe two, coupled with a sharp snapping sound. My whole body stiffened, arms outstretched on either side of me and my knees bent when I felt it move. The adrenaline in my body pouring through my veins made my whole body tingle in an instant. I heaved a sigh of relief a few seconds later, a nervous smile plastered on my face.

"Well... shit. You feel that Benny?" I said, whipping my head around to look at my partner.

Benny laughed. A nervous laugh. He was staring at the cement floor we were standing on, inspecting it for cracks. His eyes darting here and there, but not daring to move or shift weight.

"We good?" I yelled out to him. Cement dust falling slowly from the fourth floor right above us, coming to rest.

Benny looked up, locking eyes with mine. His eyes were wide, the fear and panic evident. He didn't need to tell me that we were in trouble, I already knew.

The city had called our company to come do an inspection on the structure of this new hotel going up. It had changed hands, and had changed plans on what it was going to be several times and the city wanted to be sure it was sound before construction continued.

So here's Benny and I, three stories up standing on what's supposed to be a structurally sound floor and clearly... is not.
We've got three cranes up top, in close quarters on a normally busy street with a few other inspectors on various floors of this building.

This city is never quiet, but as Benny and I stared at each other it felt like someone hit the mute button. Then came the stressed groans of the metal slowly giving way, one side dropping again. Design flaws and changed plans, it couldn't hold it's own weight on that side. Cracking cement, crumbling onto itself. It was deafeningly loud. I couldn't hear myself scream over the sound of the metal snapping, cement crushing into the floor below it, the crane on the front side of the building smashing it's way down through the adjacent building when it toppled.

I remember falling. The cement dust clogging my nostrils, coating my throat so I couldn't breathe. My hands over my head, in some feeble attempt to protect myself. I remember hitting the ground, that tingle in my body pulsing and mixing with a searing pain in my legs and back.

Now everything is black.

Alright Y/N, better try to get some of this rubble off of you.

I push my hands upward, expecting to try to lift the heavy weight of the rubble off of me, however my arms move freely. I try to open my eyes, bracing myself for the dust but instead I'm blinded by light.

What the hell...Gah! That's bright! Shit.

I blink a few times and move my arm over my forehead, acting like a shade, as I sit up gingerly. Somehow, I'm in a forest. A dead forest. The trees are dry crisps of their former selves, leaveless and barren. Everything has a reddish hue to it, the sky itself looks like it's on fire. It's warm, no breeze. A sweltering type of dry heat with no repreive. I can feel the sweat forming on my forehead and temples, and quickly wipe it away as I try to stand.

Argh, yuck..

I look at my arm, internally groaning as I shake the sweat from it. Though, my arm isn't the same. It takes a minute to process that thought, staring at my arm like it's some foreign object. There's a thin layer of coppery... fur covering my arm, which gradually turns to white on the underside. My nails have grown out like sharp little blades, almost claw-like. My breathing starts to quicken, as I'm turning my arm over and over, staring at this newfound fur. Then my other arm. Then my legs.