Avery hesitated, then shook her head. "No. I don't really want to be around—" she motioned her chin to Wyatt.

"I understand. He's being an ass," Kelly yelled in her ear. She looked over at Madison. "Are you going to go find Carson?"

"I'll probably see him."

She leaned in closer so Avery couldn't hear. Her glasses brushed up against Madison's cheek. "Well, when you do, let me know so Garrett and I can be with her. I don't want her alone."

"Do you know what's going on with him?"

"No idea. Garrett's gone to try and talk some sense into him. His attitude is ruining the night and I swear if he makes her cry..." Kelly smacked the back of her hand against her palm. "You keep her happy and away from him till my brother and I find out what the hell is going on."

Madison saluted her. "Aye aye Captain."

When Kelly left, Avery grabbed Madison's hand and dragged her further into the gym. Weaving through the crowd of dancing bodies, they made their way to the center. Avery swayed her hips and lifted Madison's hand and waved it through the air.

"Come on! Dance with me!" Avery did some sort of funky move then spun on her heels. She laughed and threw her head back. "I love this song!"

Madison's lips quirked. Her friend's mood was infectious. Giving in, she closed her eyes and began swaying to the beat. After the fourth song, Madison loosened up enough to move her hands around and she started to really enjoy it. She didn't know how long they danced—goofing around with funny moves or shouting the song lyrics—but soon a bead of sweat started to run down her neck.

"Do you want to get a drink?" she asked, wiping her neck and forehead.

"Yes! Let's go outside. It's hot as sin in here."

The back of the gym led to the quad area. It was decorated in similar fashion with twinkling lights, black tables and chairs and glittering stars. A dance floor was set up in the middle but instead of a DJ, there was a high-tech stereo. The music out here wasn't as wild and rambunctious either. It was toned down and more soothing. A perfect area for couples to have a romantic dance under the stars. 

 They took a cup of water from one of the teachers and stood off to the side, enjoying the change of pace. Out of the corner of her, Madison watched Avery. She seemed to be having a good time despite her disappointment with Wyatt. She mentally patted her back for a job well done. However, she couldn't help but feel her own disappointment for not getting to spend time with the boy she liked.  

A light breeze swept over Madison's dewy skin, sending a shudder through her body. She was about to suggest they go back inside when Avery said, "Hey, isn't that Carson?"

Her eyes cut across the field to the opposite corner. Looking handsome as ever, in an all black ensemble was Carson. His sleeves were rolled up to his forearms and his collar was undone. A green tie hung around his shoulders and his dark hair was parted to the side though a few tendrils stuck up in the back. He looked relaxed and utterly happy. 

Her eyes drifted to his side and she couldn't help the involuntary clench of hands. Lauren stood next to him in a vision of white and silver. The lights flickered off the silver beading of her dress giving her an iridescent glow. She looked radiant...and absolutely beautiful.

A slow melody crooned over the speakers and Lauren tugged him onto the dance floor. She drew his hands to the small of her waist and placed her own on his shoulders. She tilted her head back and looked him in the eye with a shy smile fastened to her face. Her hands caressed his shoulders as they moved upward and latched around his neck. He whispered something in her ear and her grin grew into a laugh, the sound husky and intimate. He grinned back as his hands tightened and she took a step closer.

Madison had seen enough. She spun around and said, "Let's go."

"Wait. Wait!" Avery called, running after her.

 Madison's legs pumped faster, her heart pounding in her ears. She barely dodged a trashcan as she thought about how cozy they seemed. How at ease they were with each other.

"Madison!" Avery grabbed her shoulder and forced her to stop and whirl around. "I'm sure that dance meant nothing. He's not into her. He likes you."

"Right," she answered in a flat tone.

"Really! He was looking at her like a friend."

Madison didn't know what to believe. All she knew was that her stomach was currently being gnawed away by jealousy. "I can't talk about this right now. I'm going to the bathroom."

"Do you want me to come with you?"

The sympathy in Avery's eyes made her stomach ache even more. "I just need a minute to myself."

A flash of understanding crossed her face. "Of course. I'll go check on Kelly and the others. I'll be inside at the table when you're ready."

Madison began walking in the opposite direction, but not before her eyes flickered to the dancing couple. They were still in each other's arms, swaying back and forth to the beautiful melody. Madison had to admit they were striking together. The harsh black lines of his suit softened by the feminine folds of white and silver. It looked as if they belonged—a puzzle fitting perfectly together.

With that thought, Madison lifted the hem of her dress and began walking away. She meandered through the crowd, past the quad area, to the bleachers that overlooked the football field. It was supposed to be off-limits, but she didn't care. She took off her shoes and carefully climbed the steps till she reached the top. She sat down and gave a long, rugged sigh.

"That doesn't sound like a person enjoying the thrill of Homecoming," a deep voice mocked.

"Who's there?" she asked warily, searching the darkness. "No one is supposed to be up here."

"Why hello pot. Nice to meet you, I'm kettle."

Madison winced at the sarcastic response. "Duly noted, but you didn't answer my question."

"And I'm not inclined to answer. After all, this is my spot. You're the interloper. I should be the one asking the questions."

She looked to her left and to her right but she didn't see anyone. "What are you—the troll living under the bridge?"

"I like the sound of that." His voice turned deeper as he ordered, "You must answer three questions in order to stay."

"Or what? You'll force me off?" she challenged. She wasn't in the mood to be trifled with. This guy was a jerk. "You have no claim over the bleachers."

"Maybe not but I do have claim on what it looks over."

"The football field?" she snorted. "How can you claim the field? You're not the gardener or something are you?" She suddenly realized how dangerous the situation was. Her hands gripped her heels in case she needed a weapon.

A figure to her right popped up. He was about mid-way up the bleachers. The reason she didn't see him was because he was lying in the trench where people walked. She couldn't see his face but she could see the outline of his body. He ran a hand through his hair and then rested them on the bleachers.

"Not the gardener, Pots."

"Then who are you?"

She could see a brief flash of white as he smirked. "I'll give you a hint. I'm your star quarterback and soon to be Homecoming King."

She arched an eyebrow in disbelief. "Zach Brewer?"

 "Zach Brewer?"

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.