Chapter 5: Child, Day 1

Start from the beginning

“Sebastian, hanging from the chandelier is very dangerous. I know ya can fly but you could still hurt yourself! The Young Master worries for you, I know he acts like he’s an adult but he’s actually concerned for your safety! Why don’t ya try staying out of trouble with somethin’ safer to do?” Finnian suggested, feeling overwhelmed and still getting over the fright he got from Sebastian’s swinging stunt.

Before the giddy demon child could answer, Baldroy strolled into the front room, his signature cigarette dangling from his lips. “What’d ya do this time, sport?” he asked, raising a blonde eyebrow at Sebastian.

“I was swinging!” announced the ex-butler, pointing up at the large gleaming chandelier.

Baldo glanced up and chuckled. “Talk ‘bout the extreme, was it fun?”

Sebastian grinned and nodded quickly. He knew Baldroy would understand his kind of fun, unlike all the others who either smothered him or lectured him.

Finny frowned at the blonde American chef. “Don’t encourage him! The Young Master is very frustrated right now and he doesn’t need to worry ‘bout Sebastian’s safety on top of everythin’ he already has to worry ‘bout!”

Mey-rin decided at that moment to join the three males. “I heard yellin’ earlier. Is everything okay?” she asked, carefully.

Sebastian pouted and rushed over to the far-sighted maid, clutching her leg and burying his face into the folds of her skirt. Mey-rin could make out muffled sounds coming from the raven-haired child but didn’t catch a single word.

“Uh, what was that Sebastian? I couldn’t hear you.”

The demon looked up at her slightly reddened face and bit his bottom lip. “I got in trouble again. Big Brother is mad at me and Finny is dis-a-pointed in me. I’m sowy,” he mumbled, returning his face to the apron fabric after his explanation.

Mey-rin gushed inside at the sight. Never in any of her wildest dreams – and she had had many – would she have thought that a child, who was the mirror image of Sebastian would be cuddling up to her. She had day dreamed about bearing said butler’s children but hadn’t ever thought that she would come so close to her motherly fantasy. But yet, here she was comforting an achingly adorable child that possessed the same mysterious crimson gaze and silky black locks as her secret love. It was almost too much to bear.

While Sebastian cuddled up to Mey-rin, Baldroy and Finnian were lightly arguing about whether Sebastian needed to be kept safe or whether he needed a little more freedom. Said demon liked the weapon-loving chef even more, even if he did make the most tasteless food the child had ever eaten. Baldroy was taking his side and that immediately put him on Sebastian’s good side.

“C’mon, lighten up, he’s just a kid! They need space and they need fun! The poor boy has been cooped up in this gloomy manor for a week. I’d be restless too!” Baldroy defended, glancing at the kid in Mey-rin’s arms.

“But he can still have fun on a safer level! He was hanging from the chandelier, Baldo! He could ‘ave hurt himself badly! I don’t want to see him hurt and neither does the Young Master. Why doesn’t he just run around outside? He wouldn’t be inside all day then and he’d burn off some energy while he’s at it,” countered Finnian, his face flushed.