Chapter 2: 12 Months

Disclaimer: Yana Toboso is the rightful owner of Kuroshitsuji and the lovely characters that belong to that series. No copyright infringement intended.

Baby Butler

Chapter 2: 12 Months

Ciel Phantomhive can’t fathom why his inhumanly perfect butler is late for his morning wake up call. Searching the manor, Ciel ends up in Sebastian’s room. The Earl finds himself staring face-to-face with a raven-haired, crimson-eyed demon baby.

"Good morning, young master." Light filled the room and shined across the young pale face of the thirteen-year-old Earl of Phantomhive.

Ciel yawned and sat up, stretching. Rubbing his eyes, he blinked and focused on the back of Tanaka, who was preparing tea.

"T-Tanaka?"

"Yes, master Ciel?" the older man asked, pouring the tea into a porcelain teacup.

"Where's Se-" Ciel stopped himself, the events of the previous day flooding into his head. "Uh, where's my eye patch?" Keeping a hand over his contracted eye, he watched his servant.

"On the side table, my lord," Tanaka answered, walking over to the wooden table beside the bed. He picked up the black silk eye patch and held it out to Ciel. "Would you like some help with it?"

"N-no, it's okay. What's for breakfast?"

Tanaka turned back to the cart of tea and food and Ciel hastily and sloppily tied on his eye patch. "Today we have Earl Grey tea with a cheese and ham omelette and a side choice of a strawberry tart or scones. Which would you like?"

Ciel ran a hand through his dark teal hair and answered, "Scones." Tanaka nodded and added a scone to Ciel's breakfast plate. "Do I have anything scheduled for today?" the young Earl asked.

"Mrs. Dalloré will be arriving for your violin lesson at 10 o'clock and Mr. Denimirk will be coming for your tutoring at 11 o'clock. Then you must discuss Funtom business with Mr. Giordano, from the factory down in Rome and Lady Elizabeth will be visiting this evening," responded Tanaka.

Ciel threw his legs over the side of the bed. "Cancel it all. Say I'm ill or some form of business has come up. Make my schedule today free."

Tanaka nodded and replied, "Certainly, master Ciel. Oh, the books you requested yesterday have arrived and are in your study."

The young Earl nodded in thanks and allowed Tanaka to dress him in a navy jacket and shorts with a white linen shirt under the jacket and a royal blue ribbon around his neck. The older servant easily fastened the navy socks and garters on Ciel's legs and slipped the black heeled shoes on his feet.

Once clothed, Ciel ate breakfast rather quickly and headed down the hall, descending the carpeted staircase. If he were to be completely honest, he was a little worried for the now baby-turned Sebastian.

Sebastian didn't eat human food but as a baby would he need to eat souls? Was he curious like a normal human child or did he still have some part of his matured mind?

"He better not have gotten into anything or broken something," Ciel mumbled under his breath.

Heading down the hallway that held the workers’ rooms, Ciel kept his eye out for any of the servants and slipped into Sebastian's room. "Sebastian?" Ciel questioned, turning to face the mess of sheets that covered the bed.

A head of black hair peeked out of the blankets.

"Those are definitely horns," Ciel confirmed, approaching the child as slowly as he had the day before. "Do you know who I am Sebastian?"

The demon's large red eyes sparkled in the bright room and his round pale face tilted in a cute kind of way. "Da-dee," mumbled the infant, so quietly Ciel could barely make sense of the noise. Sebastian tried crawling through the folds of fabric to get closer to Ciel.

Daddy? Ciel blinked and felt heat rush to his cheeks. Had Sebastian's mind shrunk to that of a very young demon? Did he remember anything from his past? How old could he be? Ciel had no idea how fast demons grew and couldn't correctly place an age on Sebastian.

"I'm not daddy, I'm ma-," Ciel paused and thought of another name to give himself, "I'm... I'm big brother." Ciel smirked.

Little Sebastian gave up trying to untangle himself from the sheets and sat up, reaching for Ciel with his small hands. His hands didn't have the normal human chubbiness to them but were more bony and slender. Sebastian's whole body was rather skinny for a baby and was much more angular than a human child.  

"Uh, where'd your cat go?" Ciel asked quietly, trying to avoid having to pick up the child.

Sebastian dropped his arms and glanced around, not catching sight of the toy anywhere on the bed. "C-cat?" mumbled the child. His voice matched that of the older Sebastian's and it sounded quite strange coming from the mouth of a baby.

"Yes, where's your cat?" Ciel asked again, looking around the room. He couldn't see it anywhere.

The disappearance of the cat caused little Sebastian's bottom lip to tremble. "Oh no, no don't cry! I'll find it!" Ciel quickly promised, dropping to his knees to search under the bed.

Ciel disappeared from Sebastian's sight and a cry ripped from the tiny demon's throat. More noises followed and Sebastian buried himself under the heavy quilt that lay at the end of the bed.

The crying sounds reached the ears of Mey-rin and Finnian who were both heading outside to hang up laundry and plant roses.

"What's that?" Finny asked.

"Sounds like a baby, yes it does!" Mey-rin gasped.

"Where's it comin' from?"

"Down the hall! Mr. Sebastian's room, I think!" Mey-rin set down the basket she was carrying and hurried down the hall with Finnian on her heels.

Ciel looked up to hear heavy footsteps pounding down the hall. Damn it, Ciel mentally cursed, standing up with Sebastian’s cat toy.

"Here I found your toy, now stay hidden." Ciel held out the toy to the whimpering demon child who was poking his head out from under a blanket. Sebastian grabbed the cat and slipped back under the quilt.

"Should we knock or just go in?" Finnian asked, touching the silver door handle.

"Uh, just open it," Mey-rin replied.

Finny turned the handle and opened the door, immediately spotting the Earl. "Young Master! What're you doin' in 'ere again?" Finny asked.

"We thought we heard cryin', we did!" Mey-rin explained in a shrill voice. Her cheeks were rosy and her hair was slightly dishevelled.

Ciel made himself look confused. "Crying? I haven't heard any crying."

"Sounded like a baby, it did!"

Sebastian decided at that point to ignore Ciel's order and he peeked out from under the blanket. Mey-rin squealed at the sight of the crimson-eyed child and Finny gasped.

"Who's this?" Finnian asked at the same moment Mey-rin gasped out, "He looks just like Mr. Sebastian, he does!"

Ciel sighed and raked his brain for a decent explanation for the Sebastian-look-alike and the fact that the child had horns, fangs, claws, wings and a tail.

"Uh, this is Sebastian's nephew... His name is also Sebastian and uh, he has a really rare disease where... he has abnormal bird-like growths and other symptoms that are still unknown..." Ciel paused waiting to see if his gullible servants bought his lie.

"Oh my goodness! That's so sad!" exclaimed Mey-rin, tears collecting at the corners of her big brown eyes. Her glasses were fogging slightly.

Finnian started actually tearing and sniffled. "So where’re his parents?"

Ciel sighed softly. "Sebastian is out helping his... Brother-in-law with funeral preparations and such... His sister passed away a couple weeks ago and he had just gotten word. So, the child has been put under my care for the time being... I'll need some help though."

Both servants nodded quickly and huddled closer to the demon child.

"Oh, he's so cute, yes he is!" Mey-rin gushed. Her cheeks were flaming with their usual cherry red tinge.

Finnian turned to Ciel and asked, "How old is he, young master?"

"Um, about a year old." Ciel nodded to himself, happy at his guess and pushed his way between the burgundy-haired maid and blonde gardener. "Just keep your distance; he isn't good around lots of people."

That statement couldn't be more of a lie. Little Sebastian was sitting up in wonder at the two new humans fussing over him. The child loved the attention and gurgled happily. That particular sound caused Mey-rin to squeal and attempt to pick up the child.

The demon baby let out a giggle that sound more like a strangled growl and snuggled into Mey-rin's warm embrace.

"Ouch!" cried Mey-rin, "sharp nails, he's got." She adjusted a purring Sebastian in her arms and smiled. Finnian's wide eyes looked over the black feathered wings stretching from the child's back. He was amazed by the rays of green and blue sheen that reflected off of the glossy feathers.

Ciel let out a sigh. It seems he wouldn't have to struggle over the demon baby as much as he thought. These two imbeciles were so taken with little Sebastian that the Earl hoped he wouldn't have to deal with the baby at all.