twenty two

spencer

it was the morning of the first semi game and i couldn't be more nervous.

moira was back in paris with her family and i was still here.

"knight!" shane called as i was walking out to the bus.

"oh hey shane." i say with a sigh.

he smirks, "aww, poor little spencer's missing his woman." 

i rolled my eyes and look at him unamused.

"hey you aren't denying it." he shrugs and we walk to the bus together.

"i am missing moira, but i understand that she needs to back in paris." i tell him while he nods.

"good job spencer, you two seem happy together." shane says, patting me on the shoulder as we sit down a couple seats away from each other.

"knight, are you going to do it today?" trevor asked, referring to me asking moi to be my girlfriend.

"i don't know. she's not even here." i say, sighing a little bit.

he nods, "right, besides. it's not the gold medal game." 

i agree and put in my earbuds, calling moira.

moira

i wake up to a ringing.

"hello?" i ask and hear spencer on the other line.

"hey moi, just wanted to wake you up." he said, laughing a little.

"thanks spence. how are you feeling about this game today?"

"good, sad you aren't here but i know you need to be back in paris." 

i smiled, "thanks spence, i wish i could be there too."

"i love you."

"i love you too. good luck spence."

"thanks moi, bye."

i smile as he hangs up, even if we had a three second conversation, it still made me happy.

i got up and got ready to go back to the hospital, changing and brushing my hair and teeth.

i put on some makeup and headed downstairs to see my mom and dad talking in quiet voices.

"good morning." i say, making them abruptly look up and give me a smile.

"hey honey, good morning." my mom says, giving me a kiss on the forehead.

my dad gave me a hug and handed me an orange juice.

i accepted it with a smile.

we sat at the breakfast bar and eat and drink in silence, listening to the tv playing in the other room.

"are you ready to go to the hospital?" my dad asked and i shrugged.

"kind of. spencers playing his first semi game so i wanted to watch that." i tell them and my mom nods.

"you can watch that at the hospital if we go now." she tells me.

i look at dad who nods and i grab my coat, walking out the door with my parents.

we ride to the hospital fast and when we got in, i asked one of the hospital techs to put on the game.

it was the start of the first period and it looked tough.

the finland team was big and scary.

i called adelina and she had me on the phone for most of the game.

during third period i got very anxious.

adelina said she had to go and i watched the game by myself before dad and yasmine came over.

"moi! moi! moi!" she called, jumping up and down.

i smiled at her and she climbed on my lap, sitting with me while i watch the game.

"how's spencer doing?" my dad asked, sitting next to me.

i take a glance at him, "good, he's made some really good saves."

i wince as team usa got a penalty, giving finland a power play.

"shit." i mumble as spencer let in a shot.

my dad winces as i see spencer hang his head.

"well that's not good." yasmine says, in french.

i nod, "it's not."

they pull spencer two minutes left in the game and then this guy oliver for the us got  sent out of the game for a game misconduct.

in the last minute, the pull both goalies, making me kind of sad.

i sighed as the last few seconds ran out on the clock.

"he played good moi." dad said, patting my shoulder and going back to the hospital room.

i nodded and watched the flag raising ceremony.

when they started calling players up, my phone started ringing.

"hello?" i ask, it was spencer's number, but not spencer.

"hey moira, this is the assistant coach for team usa, spencer asked me during the game to get his phone and call you before they call the players." this guy said and i hummed.

"do you know what for?" i ask and i can hear him shrug.

"not sure, but he can tell you in a minute." he says then i can hear the roar of the crowd.

i listen and watch the tv as i see the assistant coach walk over to spencer and hand him the phone.

"moi?" i hear him. poor boy sounds depressed.

"hey spence. you played amazing. do not beat yourself up or i swear i will fly over and make sure you love yourself." i say and yasmine tries to grab my phone.

i hear spencer laugh, then he gets called up for one of the top usa players. 

yasmine grabs my phone and i just let her have it while i just watch the tv.

before all the players get their gifts, spencer asks for the mic and the announcer gives it to him.

"hi, hi, uh sorry for this but before we leave, i just wanted to ask if, uh, wow i'm not good at this." he says into the mic, looking at trevor, who motions for him to continue.

"uncle doug!" yasmine calls, and my dad comes running out.

i giggle and look back to spencer who took a deep breath before continuing.

"my best friend of over a decade was here a couple days ago and we reconnected. but yesterday she left to go back home to her family and is hopefully watching this right now or else this would be very embarressing." he says and some people laugh.

"anyway, i was wondering if moira, my best friend, would you make me super happy and be my girlfriend?" he asks and my mouth falls open as my mom shrieks.

he looks at his phone and yasmine yells into it.

he looks away and i laugh, taking my phone back from yasmine.

"sorry, that was my cousin, but yes! i would love to be your girlfriend!" i say and he grins, nodding, making the crowd go wild.

he hands the mic back to the announcer and gets his gifts along with shane and trevor, then they all skate back into line.

"hey, call me after the game spence." i say, giggling and grinning.

"alright, i love you moira." he says, making my mom giggle like a little girl.

"i love you too spence. good job today." i say and hang up, looking to my mom and dad, also my aunt and yas who were by the door.

"moi moi has a boyfriend?" yasmine asks, looking at all the adults.

they all look at me and i feel my cheeks glow red.

nodding, i answer.

"i do now."