twenty one

moira

i got the last seat on the flight back to paris, barely getting on.

spencer went with me to the airport and gave me some notes to read on the way back, also editing his playlist for me.

saying goodbye was hard, mostly because we didn't know if we could see each other again.

but, we figured out that when i go see my dad, he'll go up from boston.

maybe he'll even come over to paris on his breaks if i don't go over to him.

it was still hard, having to say bye another time after we had just found each other.

i got on the flight and sat through it, sad about multiple things.

when i got home, my mom was waiting for me at the terminal.

she gave me a giant hug, making me break down.

"mama." i cry.

"i know moira, i know." she said, walking down to baggage claim with me.

we grab my bags and head out to her car, dropping by the house to drop off my bags.

i look on my desk and see spencer and i's picture from sophomore year and i zone out again, thinking about his notes.

i pull them out and look, before getting called back downstairs to go to the hospital.

we ride in silence before i get a call.

i answer, "hello?"

"hey moi." spencer says and i smile a little.

"hey spence. how are you?" i ask.

"i'm good, have you seen your grandmother yet?" he asked and i hummed.

"not yet, on our way there. how's adelina?" 

"she's good, misses you a lot. i do too."

"i miss you too, i'll call you after i visit here. i'm here now, bye spence." 

"bye moi, love you."

"love you too." i say and he hangs up as we pull up to the hospital.

"was that spencer?" my mom asked and i nodded.

"yeah, he's playing tomorrow and i'm nervous for him." i tell her, making her smile a little bit.

"are you wearing his clothes?" she asks and i blink, looking at my outfit.

i was still wearing his sweatpants and shirt.

i blushed and nodded, "yeah." 

she smiled and we headed up to see my grandmere, hopefully doing good.

"grandmere?" i called as we walked in, looking to see my moms family around my grandmeres bed.

"moira!" my aunt says, giving me a big hug.

"hi aunt kate." i say, hugging her back, anxious to see my grandmother.

we walk over to everyone else, looking at my grandmother who was using an oxygen tank to breathe.

tears come to my eyes as i look at her, so pale and fragile.

"grandmere." i whisper, touching her hand.

her eyelids flutter open and she looks at me, smiling a little mischievously before closing her eyes again.

"she's glad you're here moira." my mom said, putting her hand on my shoulder.

i smile smally and sit down in a chair around my family.

"julia. moira." i hear my dad say and i look, seeing him standing in the doorway with a bouquet of red and yellow roses.

"dad." i grin and rush over to him, giving him a giant hug.

"moi!" he laughs quietly, hugging me back tightly.

"are those spencer's clothes?" he asks when we break and i look away.

"uh, maybe." i mumble.

he laughs and my mom swats his arm.

"doug!" she whispers and he clears his throat.

"right, here julia, for you and moi." my dad says, handing my mom the flowers and she nods, taking them and putting them in a vase.

"doug, can i talk to you in the hallway?" my mom asks, not really giving him the choice as she drags him out.

i sit back down in the chair and call spencer.

"hey moi." he says, picking up on the first ring.

"hey spence, you'll never guess who just showed up." i say and i hear silence.

"who?"

"my dad!"

"no way! moi, that's amazing!" he says and then i hear cole in the background saying something.

spencer sighs and i can tell he doesn't want to go.

"it's okay spence, go hang out with your boys. i'll text you later."

"thanks moi, i love you to the moon and back." he tells me and i laugh.

"bye spence, love you too."

i look at my family surrounding the bed.

"moira, moira!" one of my cousins exclaims, running into the room, my aunt behind them.

"salut salut yasmine." i giggle, shushing her a little bit.

"bonjour moira, comment-allez vous?" she asks, her french fluent for a six year old.

"very good yas. how's your winter been so far?" i whisper in english.

my aunt was always asking me to practice my english with her as she wanted yasmine to be fluent in both.

"very good, i got so many presents for christmas!" she grinned, showing me her missing teeth.

"aw that's great yas!" i say, bringing her out to the hallway, opposite of where my parents were arguing.

"aunt julia told me you were with a boy for christmas." yasmine giggles and i blush, grinning a little.

"yes, i was. he's a very old dear friend of mine. we were friends since we were around your age." i tell her and her eyes go wide.

"that's a long time." she whispers in awe and i laugh.

"it is. he plays hockey for the united states now." i say, making her smile.

"do i meet him soon?" she asks and i shrug.

"maybe, he has to go back to school soon. he's like me." i answer and her grin falls.

we speak a little in french before going back to the dark hospital room, waiting for any change.

after a little bit of waiting, my mom sighs, handing me the keys to her car.

"moira, can you take your father back to our house and wait there for me?" she asks and i nod, looking at my watch.

it was already 7.

i walk over to grandmere and squeeze her hand a little bit.

"je t'aime grand'mere." i say in french, then walking with my dad out to my moms car.

we drove back in peaceful silence.

when i pulled up to the townhome, we got out and walked inside like normal people.

"so this is where you guys live now." my dad states, looking around at everything.

i nod, "yeah, it's not like our old house is it?"

"definitely not." we laugh.

i show him the guest room and then head up to my room, finally getting a chance to unpack and shower before falling into a restless sleep.