thirty

[unedited]

p.j.

When I wake up in the morning, Annabeth is still asleep. I carefully crawl out of bed so I don't wake her and get ready for the day like I always do. It's weird getting ready for school without her, but she sleeps so peacefully, so I don't mind. Just before I walk out the door, I hear her call. "Percy?" Her voice is groggy.

I walk over to the room and perch on the edge of the bed. "Shh, baby, go back to sleep. You still have time."

"I missed you last night," she says, eyes barely open. Her hands reach for me, so I steady them so she stops flailing them around aimlessly. "Come on, let me give you some right now."

"No," I chuckle nervously, tucking her back under the blankets. "Go to sleep, my love. I'll talk to you later, okay?"

She turns over on the pillow and is back asleep in seconds. I laugh to myself and plant a kiss on the side of her face. She sighs and I leave for school. New York isn't quiet at this time of day, but it's less noisy. I like the mornings. Once I eat breakfast and wash my face, I usually convince my body that I'm not as tired as I actually am. I feel pretty good about the day, until I walk into the pool.

"Where is everybody?"

I look over, and the only person around is Acadia. I've talked to her a few times, briefly, during practices, but she's king of intimidating and doesn't waste time on kids like me. She looks kind of like an Amazon. She's studying a clip board, wearing a maroon track suit. She looks up at me. "Pre Christmas reports are out today."

"So why does that have anything to do with practice?" 

Acadia shakes her head at me. "You haven't been around long, Jackson, but you're no one's fool. Your old school wasn't like this?"

"I'm confused," I remind her. She doesn't make eye contact. Whatever's on her clipboard must be really important. 

Acadia scribbles a few things before answering. "The swim kids usually tier off into two groups. Half of them are at home right now, getting chewed out by their parents before they go to school, being harped on for doing poorly and being reminded that school comes first, so they can't swim until they get their grades up. The other half are in the clear. They did so well, they're already on Christmas vacation. Thank gods this is how it's always been, because the coach didn't even bother to show up today, and I wasn't about to make up a schedule for any of the kids who did show up."

"So... should I just go home?"

She looks at me. "No. Do what you want. I'll be in my office."

I stare at her for a few moments. "Um, don't I need to be supervised?"

She walks away. I don't know why she doesn't answer. Finally, she turns around and says, "I don't know you, kid, but something tells me I don't need to worry."

I do a few laps, feeling more relaxed. I feel refreshed for my day, and go about it. I write my Greek makeup test during lunch, and go collect the graded paper at the end of the day. I'm feeling good, so I shove it in my backpack without caring to look. I'm home before Annabeth, so I throw my backpack on the counter and open the fridge. There's a note on the freezer reminding me I need to get a few items for snacks and meals for the rest of the week.

I go to the closest grocery store and buy everything exactly as it is on Annabeth's list. I don't like to upset her. I whistle as I walk down the street, feeling pretty good about my day and about my life. I climb the stairs to the apartment and swing open the door. "Hey babe," I say, dropping the grocery bags on the counter. I begin to unload the fruit that I bought when I hear fast feed enter the kitchen. Those are Annabeth's angry feed, I think to myself. I turn, dreading the fact that I'm probably right.

"Perseus, I saw your test mark," she says, crossing her arms. Her eyes are frantic. "What were you thinking? I made you a study guide and a schedule. How did that happen? Where did you go last night?"

I chuckle. "Okay, first of all, mom," I say. "It's one test. It's one mark. Just chill."

the look in her eyes tells me that being 'chill' isn't really an option right now.

"The guys asked me if I wanted to go over to Becki's for a swim. I didn't think it was a big deal."

She shakes her head. "Don't you get it? We're trailblazing here. If any other halfbloods ever get to graduate high school, it'll be because we did it first. If we flunk everything, it fucks things up for everyone else. I need you to try a little bit!"

"Try, Beth?" I wrap my knuckles around the jug of orange juice, trying to stay calm. There's so much frustration in her eyes that no reasoning will likely be able to settle her down, which is completely unfair. "I know this isn't news to you, but 'trying' doesn't mean the same thing to you as it does to me. If we put the same amount of effort into something, you'll still get at least thirty percent higher than I will."

"Not true," she snaps. "Because we've never put the same amount of effort into anything in our lives, Percy. That's the difference between you and me. I may care too much, but you don't care enough."

I want to freak out. I do. But sometimes, when you're in a relationship, you have to pick your battles. I must've done poorly on the test. She's allowed to be mad at me. I walk forward and reach for her belt loops to tuck my thumbs, but she's wearing leggings. I didn't even know she owned a pair. My hands grasp at nothing and she steps away. 

"I'm going to the library. I'll be home later."

"What about supper?"

"I'll get something on the way," she grabs her backpack and slams the door. I blink, finally realizing that I'm staring at nothing. She's gone. I shake my head. For some reason, I can't erase the image of her in leggings out of my mind, and not just because it's hot. Annabeth doesn't wear tights. That's not her. We don't fight about these things. That's not us. When are things going to stop changing?

- - - - - - - - - -

Just so you know, I literally typed this out in six minutes. I timed myself. Not sure why the words are coming to me right now but they are. Hope you enjoyed. 

Thank the gods for everything in your life that brings you happiness.

Love, tumblingupwards