Chapter 2.1: Can't Talk Right Now

Six months earlier.

* * * * 

Even though it was reinforced with steel plating, the bank robbers' getaway van achieved some impressive speed.

It raced down the road, pursued by three police cars, which had their sirens blaring.

Cars on either side of the busy city street pulled off onto the sidewalks, in the hopes of not being struck. Pedestrians jumped out of the way.

U.S. Amy flew overhead, watching the whole scene from above. She flew forward, matching her speed with the van. She was about to fly downward at it when her cell phone went off, playing Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A." as its ring tone.

Amy pulled the phone from her belt and clicked it on, wondering if this call meant she was needed at a bigger emergency.

"This is U.S. Amy," she said, keeping her eyes on the van.

"Hi, hon."

Amy stifled a small groan. "Mom, I can't talk right now. Bank robbery."

"This will just take a second."

Amy knew she couldn't upset her mother by hanging up, so she multitasked. With one hand keeping the phone to her ear, she made a fist with the other and flew straight down at the van.

"I had lunch with Jan Bambrough the other day," mom said. "You remember her. She told me the Dulland Company still has a number of receptionist positions open."

Amy punched the top of the van, breaking through the steel plating. She gripped the van's metal roof and flew in the opposite direction, bringing the vehicle to a stop.

"I already told you, mom, I don't want to be a receptionist. Or a waitress, or a dental hygienist, or a church organist."

"I'm only thinking of what's best for you, sweetheart."

Two men stepped out of the van, one from the passenger-side seat and one from the sliding side door. Both wore black ski masks and held machine guns.

Amy flew at the first man, swatting the gun out of his grip and throwing him against the side of the van. She had moved so fast he hadn't had time to react.

The second man raised his gun and fired. Still holding the phone to her ear, Amy used her other hand to cover it as the bullets bounced off her.

Mom's voice was barely audible. "What's that noise?"

"Nothing."

Amy flew at the second man and gave him a good solid punch right to the forehead, just hard enough to either knock him out or at least put him in no shape to keep fighting. She pulled the gun from him and threw it to the ground with enough force that it broke apart.

"Dulland pays well," mom said. "Plus, they have full health and dental."

"Health insurance? Mom, I'm bulletproof."

The van pulled forward, its driver now back in control. Amy flew around to the front of it and held out one hand. The van stopped as it smacked into her open palm, its windshield cracking.

"You can't keep doing what you're doing forever," mom said. "How are your finances?"

Amy's mind briefly flashed to the stack of unpaid bills in her apartment. She put it out of her thoughts as the driver stepped out of the van and ran for it. Flying, Amy caught up to him in seconds. She grabbed him by the arm and threw his entire body in the direction of the police cars, which had stopped behind them.

"I'll be fine, mom. I have another meeting with Todd tomorrow."

In two quick moves, Amy pulled both rear doors off the van. The inside was filled with plain grey bags, which Amy knew were filled with money, and long metal cabinets, which Amy assumed were from safety deposit boxes.

Amy stepped aside to let the police officers move in and recover the stolen money. "What I do is important to me. I'm setting an example."

"You could do that at Dulland. You're so good with people."

Amy noticed a TV news crew had arrived, with cameras pointed at her. She took the phone away from her ear, smiled and waved at the news cameras, and flew straight up into the sky.

"Amy? Are you there? Oh, I hate these cell phones."

"I'm here," Amy said, once again high above the city.

"What do you think? Shall I give Jan your number?"

"Mom, you know what I did? I just stopped a bank robbery."

"And I'm very, very proud of you. But you still have to change your life."

"I'm sorry, but I have to go. I'll see you and dad this weekend."

"All right. I love you, dear."

Amy hung up. 

# # # # 

Next: Action figure.