65

The inside of Rosanna's cheeks were almost torn raw from how hard she had been biting on them. Her teeth only finding comfort in chewing her own flesh to keep her nerves in check. Where she would usually have music playing, she now drove in silence. Not even the hum of an alternative radio station could put her mind at ease. She was rethinking everything. Her hair, her outfit, her shoes, the brand of lipstick she was wearing, her intentions, the outcome... She'd never felt this way before about seeing someone she was already close with.

Alex's address wasn't far away but she made an effort of taking the longest route possible so that she could hide herself more time to overthink. Dinner sounded perfectly doable until now.

Why are you nervous? She asked herself. Honestly Ro, why on earth are you nervous? It's Alex. Was she mistaking her excitement for worry? Or maybe she really was worried: about the fact that she would have to make a decision that night. Stop getting ahead of yourself and just enjoy the night. He's not gonna be in town much longer.

Before she knew it, she was sitting in a guest parking bay at the address he had given her.

"Fuck," she said to herself and found her gripping her steering wheel until it was white. "Why are you fucking nervous?" she groaned and pulled the rear view mirror so she could see herself and hastily fixed her bangs and how they sat around her face. Do you think he actually likes the bangs or did he just say that to make you happy? She let out an audible sigh and turned off her car engine and grabbed her bag from the passenger's side.

Why does it seem so hard to do something you used to do all the time when it's been so long since you've done it?

She stepped out the car before her thoughts could consume her anymore and made her way into the building.

  The next thing she knew she was facing the cream colour of Alex's apartment door in a state of paralysis. Why are you so nervous? She demanded internally. She must've looked ridiculous to anyone who passed her; standing two feet from the door, looking at his head on and not moving an inch. She wondered if Alex was nervous too or if there was no excuse or explanation for her emotions.

  She inhaled a sharp breath and knocked three times on the door. Within seconds, it was opened from the other side and she was met with Alex's flustered face. So he is nervous too.

He cleared his throat, "If it smells carcinogenic in here I burnt some bread about a half hour ago."

  Rosanna hovered around Alex's kitchen as he finished up cooking the dinner he'd prepared and spent the entire day trying to perfect.

"Do you want a hand?" Rosanna asked.

"Nah, nah. You just sit at the table love, I'm almost done," Alex said, grabbing out two plates.

"You sure?" Rosanna smirked teasingly.

Alex let out a chuckle, "I'm on the home stretch, I don't think I can possible burn anything else." Knowing Alex wanted the self-accomplishment of making the whole meal himself and serving it to her, Rosanna sat down at his dining table and patiently waited as Alex plated up dinner. He'd set it up all fancy and had a set of freshly bought candles lighting up the centre of the table.

"Oh I brought this as well," Rosanna said as she lifted a bottle of tequila out of her bag.

Alex looked over his shoulder at her from the kitchen and stifled a laugh. "Tequila?"

"Not to drink on it's own," Rosanna said and placed it on the table before her. "But you know I hate wine so this was my alternative." The corners of Alex's eyes wrinkled slightly as he smiled at her gesture, tea towel over his shoulder. "I dunno, you can make it in to all yer famous cocktails," Rosanna shrugged.