Please our Alpha. That's what we needed to do. That's what we would do.

For hours I didn't move from my spot. The herbs were causing me to become tired but I hadn't been given permission to sleep so I stood in place. Lilah had attempted to speak to me but she had given up early on, realizing that I wouldn't shift, even her wolf had made a fruitless attempt at comforting me.

Was I being disobedient? Fear ran through me at the possibility, but I tried to squash the feelings.

Day soon turned into night when I finally heard the running steps. The dulling scent of the Alpha finally being refreshed as he made his way in. I couldn't help but to close my eyes and inhale the security that scent brought.

"Aegis..." I didn't look, I kept my head bowed and neck angled perfectly in submission. I tried to keep my tail from wagging, I was good! I would be rewarded for my obedience.

A growl ripped through the cave, I almost jumped but I steeled myself. A tinge of apprehension going through. I wasn't too sure if the growl was one of anger or not.

"I told you, he became like this the moment you were out of sight," Lilah spoke softly. "I worry for his mind."

"Has he eaten?" Aegis's voice caused flutters within my stomach. I was grateful the male returned.

"He won't even move a muscle, I figured it was pointless to offer him food." Her voice sounded tired, drained.

"Go and tend to the wounded." His voice was quiet but it held authority.

I stayed rooted in place, as Lilah's retreating footsteps slowly disappeared.

"Toby, will you shift?" The male spoke gently as I felt his approach from behind.

I didn't want to shift. My wolf didn't want to shift. It felt safer being in our fur, we could run faster.

Do not run.

But, I wanted to obey.

Had his question been a command?

"Calm down, you don't have to shift." A hand tentatively made contact with my back and I all but jumped away. Shocked. I couldn't control the reaction, my body having turned so that I was now facing the Alpha.

Fear consumed me. My tail swiftly tucked under my stomach my body started to tremble. Aegis just stared, an unknown emotion flickering across his face as he took a step away from me and sat down. He put just enough distance between us that he felt close but was also giving me space. It was respect.

He was respecting my space.

I felt strange at having the distance, the small gesture confusing me but causing my wolf to perk his ears. I tried to not think much of what we offered and just focused on him without meeting his eyes. The cave was barely illuminated by the small fire but he was easy to see, my eyesight undeterred by the lack of light.

He looked beat up, a few gashes lining his stomach were almost healed. Dry blood outlined how long and thick the gashes had been and guilt ate at me. Even his face sported a few bruises, although he didn't seem too phased the guilt of knowing I was the cause behind the marks had me realizing that I put him in unnecessary danger.

"You can relax, the wolf that trespassed was chased out." His voice was smooth and it washed over me. His wolf slowly let his scent out, coaxing me into a calmer state.

I struggled. I hadn't been good enough.

This was all my fault.

Beta came here because of me.