Chapter Thirty-One

They spoke in riddles.

Every word hitting my mind but bouncing back.

My memory absent, making the words they spoke sound more like a foreign language.

Clyde was here.

Pierce knew where he was.

Pierce was hiding something.

Even more, than that though, was the fact that someone got let free and Ben was worried about my safety. That woman, Avalon. Her name made my ears ring yet I couldn't match her face to her name...

Her voice was shrill in my ears and his laughter was just as loud. My wolf had heard, I felt his movements, felt his intense distress. Something was wrong. My wolf knew, he knew because he was keeping his secrets from me.

What was the point in all of these secrets? Was it helping me by me not knowing?

I felt the first tear fall and couldn't help but swipe angrily at it.

Anger.

Rage.

I felt it building, bubbling inside me.

Frustration.

Fear.

Both close contenders but the raw emotion was fury. Everyone was hiding things from me. No one could give me a straight answer, no one listened. Pierce had been avoiding me since coming here. His touches were merely distractions. His words merely manipulative secrets. I was in the dark. The remorse I felt towards the cat was still there and strong but listening to the two speak about hidden Alphas, released Betas.

I felt my blood run cold. My heartbeat thumping harshly in my ears.

I could hear it.

Ba-dum

Ba-dum

It was a chill, goosebumps, a cold sweat, followed by a blistering throb at the back of my head. The release of forgotten faces, the onslaught of all those words once spoken. It was cold, the memories raw. The actions horrendous.

That night.

I felt it all.

The kiss, the howl, the heat, his call, my answering.

I remember it all clearly.

The feeling of life.

The parasite, my fears, the hatred.

My ears thumped with the reminder.

Ba-dum

Ba-dum

Clearly, I could remember.

I could feel the pierce of my flesh, the first attempt and then the successful one.

I could see the hurtful eyes that Pierce gave me.

Bile crept up my throat my wolf fought me but my hands were already grasping at the memories. His fear for the Beta allowed the memories to escape. I had them all now though, and I wasn't going to let go.

Grasping my ears I tried to shut out the voices. I needed to remember so I knew.

The betrayal I had felt from those around me.

I could recall it all.

Avalon. The demand for the small life to be born, the demand for the mating. Her spiteful words.