Chapter Sixteen

I was much too comfortable. Sleep clung to my eyes not wanting to open and my hazy mind wasn't on board with getting up either. It was the feeling of another's warmth under my fingertips that kept me from drifting back off to sleep. It was a smell that I've grown accustomed to that made me realize the situation I was in and had my eyes snapping open and heart rate increasing.

One arm was slung around my waist, slightly encasing me against the well tone, exposed chest of the Cat that kept me. Our legs were tangled together, and my head rested comfortably on his other, outstretched arm. My own arms were cradled up against myself. I wasn't sure how we got downstairs and into my temporary bed, but my mind was to busy trying to work out my current situation to bother with the logistics of it.

In the dark, I could still make out Pierce's features. His face was raised above my head, and he looked peaceful, plump lips slightly parted as he breathed. The urge to cuddle into the Cat was overwhelming, there wasn't anything within me that didn't bask in joy at our current situation. I was slightly confused, but happy. I shifted ever so slightly trying to get closer to the warm body next to me. My wolf was also rolling around in my head ecstatic over the predicament we were in.

A soft growl was let out by Pierce and I froze.

"If you don't stop fucking moving I'm going to go to my bed." His voice was laced with sleep and annoyance but as he spoke his arm tightened around me and brought me closer to him while flinging his leg over me and tucking my head into his neck. I was fully wrapped up in his arms and I loved every second of it.

My heart was beating too fast and I had to take deep breathes in order to calm the rollercoaster like feelings from bubbling over within my stomach. A soft growling and slight vibration started against the side of my cheek that now rested on top of Pierces chest. The arm that I had been laying on was now wrapped around my shoulders hand silently combing through my hair. The sound he let out was soothing and almost felt like a lullaby pulling me back into the realm of sleep. The smile that spread across my face felt embarrassing and even though I knew he couldn't see it, I quickly buried my head into his neck and breathed in his scent allowing the purring to carry me back to sleep. This moment was everything to me.

The next day I woke up alone, my bed completely empty. Sitting up I looked around the room but saw no sign of Pierce and listening intently I realized that the upstairs was quiet as well.

Looking around I noticed the change of clothes and towel laid out over the small side table indicating that I should shower and brush my teeth for the day. I felt uncomfortable though. It was rare that I would wake up to an empty house. Pierce usually woke me up when he got up but something felt different.

Standing I grabbed the towel and made my way over to the tiny shower, trying to ignore the strange feeling in my chest. Something felt off, and as I stripped myself of my clothes and turned the shower on the feeling only grew. Quickly I washed my body and turned off the water. Wrapping the towel around my thin waist I looked up to the small window.

My wolf was starting to get restless, something was definitely wrong. I felt my heart drop to the pit of my stomach when I heard the first howl. It was familiar, I knew that howl.

Without thinking I ran to the steps and made my way to the door. I breathed in silently praying to the Moon that Pierce didn't lock it. Slowly I turned the handle and was met with resistance. Panic. Another howl sounded and I glanced to the window and then back to the door. Turning the knob again I shook it in hopes it would give, but when it didn't I slammed my fist against the wood.

It was Kain's pack, something was wrong. The howls were familiar, I remembered hearing them in different occasions. The howls were distressed though. My wolf scratched frantically in my mind wanting out, I felt desperate. I let a yell out as I continued to beat on the door. Where was Pierce? Why was Kains pack so close? Was Kain with them? Was he hurt? Was Pierce with them? Were they fighting?