Chapter Eighteen

Time seemed to pass as we both continued to lay on the forest floor. Pierce made no effort to force us back to his home. At one point I had thought of it as my home too, but the harsh reality was that it wasn't a home meant for me. It was just jail walls meant to keep me confined.

A groan left my lips as I tried to adjust slightly. My side throbbed with pain. The open gash had closed soon after the sun had left the sky but the pain was still present. Maybe it was my internal pain more than it was from my fall that kept me down.

Pierce gave a light growl when he heard my groan and proceeded to run his tongue back over the closed wound. I didn't prevent him but I didn't want the attention. He had fully groomed me while we laid next to each other, and the action only further confused me. At first, I had hated it, but then I grew to want it, to need the assurance of his affection. I wanted him more than I knew, however, I also knew what reality had planned for me. I knew this wasn't real, I knew this affection wasn't given because he loved me or wanted me. My heart hurt at the truth, and although I was lying saying that I didn't want the attention, I truly did want it. I didn't want to feel false feelings though, I didn't want to be put into a place of falsified reality, I just wanted the truth, wanted to know where we stood and what was expected of me. The unknown was going to be hard to live through.

Eventually, we would go back to his home but my tired mind was still trying to conjure up a way to escape. With night now surrounding us, I knew it would be a futile attempt, and though my body was sore my will to escape was still fresh and determined.

I felt a nudge from Pierce but didn't make any moves to move. Looking at him he raised his head slightly indicating that I should stand up. I ignored it and felt another nudge from him. I didn't want to move so I stayed put letting a small growl out when he did it again. A heavy sigh sounded behind me and I could feel Pierces growing frustration with me as he continued to nudge me with no reaction. Feeling him move I looked behind me as he started to shift back into his human form, the large black Cat gone.

"Shift and get on my back, it's time to go home," Pierce said with dominance, him wanting to leave no room for me to argue. I huffed. I didn't want to go face reality, didn't want to lose touch with it again. Closing my eyes I put my head back down in between my paws. My wolf was content with our position too. He had enjoyed the affection but he also wasn't sure what would happen if we left our spot and jumping back into that house wasn't top priority for him.

"Toby, I'm serious. Don't fucking test me right now, I'm hungry and tired and you're being fucking stubborn isn't helping." I snapped my head up at him and snarled low. He met mine with his own before shifting back. Did he not remember his own words from earlier? Was he expecting me to just ignore what happened?

Maybe it wasn't my place to be upset though.

His cat towered over me with lips drawn back flashing me his teeth. I didn't look away, what place did I hold? I growled.

Screw the behaving.

Screw the rules.

Screw Pierce.

I didn't want to move and I didn't plan too. He could either stay with me or go home. My mind was made up.

Letting out another frustrated growl Pierce moved to my backside. I watched him adjusting myself as I did, not wanting to give him access to my hurt side. His eyes flashed at me with a smug look. Narrowing mine back I suddenly felt uncomfortable. He was up to something.

Lifting his large paw Pierce brought it down to my rear in a swiping motion that had me scrambling to get out of his way when he went to do it a second time. I growled low in my throat in warning to him, now standing with my tail tucked under me. Turning so my front was facing him, I tried to lower back down, my legs were sore and I didn't want to give Pierce another opportunity to swipe at me. Before I could lower Pierce again reached for me with his large paw but this time I back away from it ensuring that he missed. This continued a few more times until I realized what he was doing and I growled threateningly at him.