56. High Risk, High Reward

Derek came into the room late that night, looking dazed but dangerous as he dropped a piece of red lace on the ground in the dark room.

"Put it on." He demanded, turning on the light.

"What is it?" I groaned, voice sleepy.

"You don't recognize it?" His friendly tone was fake. "Put it on." Then he left, slamming the door. I picked up the red lingerie and realized that yes, I did recognize it. It was one of my original outfits from the first show at the Garden.

I groaned at the thought of wearing this for him, but I knew if I resisted altogether it would make him even more angry. 

I put the garment on under the clothes he'd given me to wear, and crawled back into bed. Upstairs, I could hear him walking around, moving from one end of the house to the other. I thought he'd forgotten about me for a while, almost falling asleep, until he came back down and opened the door. I played up my breathing and snoring, instantly recognizing the smell of marijuana follow him in the doorway. I was sure any second he would rip off the covers, he must've stood there for two minutes, but by some miracle, he eventually decided to leave the room, locking me in for the night. Exhaling, I celebrated the small relief and took note of the fact that he smoked drugs. I'd rather deal with a pothead than an alcoholic, but it did make me wonder what else he dabbled in up there. 

My biggest relief was that he hadn't thought to drug me tonight.

Baby steps.

I slept the kind of sleep where you sense everything going on around you, never quite knowing what time it is or when morning is going to come.

It was kind of sleep you had when, at any moment, a delusional psycho could come barging in.

My eyes opened, fully awake, to the sound of footsteps on the stairs. Light was coming through the window. It was morning.

I sat up, warily preparing myself for all things I'd have to say and endure next. The lacy fabric itched against my skin.

The heavy deadbolt unlatched and the door opened. "Morning." He smiled. 

"Good morning," I choked, voice still tired. I smiled back to make up for my lack of enthusiasm.

"I have some good news." He told me, "come with me." I opened my eyes, wary of what he meant.

He smiled and walked up to me, holding out a hand. The facade was beginning early today, it seemed. Dropping my feet off the edge of the bed, I cautiously accepted it, forcing a convincing smile to light up my cheeks. As I stood up, Derek seemed to be looking me over. 

I could only imagine how my hair looked, probably resembling something closer to a troll than a person, having washed it with bar soap before sleeping on it, but Derek didn't say anything. He let me walk in front of him, staying close, as I wandered out of the room, and out into a little hall. 

"This way." He directed me to the stairs. I suddenly felt that fear of wondering if I was walking into a trap, but when the smell of bacon hit me halfway up the steps, I relaxed.

Wow, I thought, finding my footing at the top of the stairs. The space was gorgeous, with crown moulding and hard-wood flooring. The walls were a mix of dark red, cream white and rich, mahogany accents that made the whole place feel warm and welcome. 

Again, I was struck by a sense of familiarity I couldn't place, like I'd seen this place in a dream. 

"I thought we could share a nice breakfast, maybe get today off to a better start. I'd like to start preparing the bedroom for you to move upstairs..." as he moved close to me, I tried to summon my happy place. I imagined Harry's dimples popping out at me as he said good morning, griddle in one hand and spatula in the other. I smiled.