17. Sixty Seconds

Another update for you guys! This chapter is so important to the story, so I hope you get as into reading it as I did writing it. Please vote and comment at the parts that stand out, I'll do my best to reply<3

****

Harry waited out of sight for Samuel to leave the parlour. He didn't want to be seen excluding himself from the last couple acts, as it might seem suspicious, but he had a feeling the boss wouldn't stick around past the main event, and he was right.

Samuel had refilled his drink and taken off down a dark hallway. Harry casually re-entered the bar and refilled his own, waiting a minute before following him. He took his time, seeing several oil paintings of scantily clad women on the walls of the dim hall. He turned another corner and at the end was an elegant door guarded by both a camera and a man wearing an earpiece.

"Good evening, I'm here to speak with Mr. Seville." Harry stated plainly, hands clasped behind his back.

The man touched a button on his earpiece and mumbled, before nodding once.

"You won't mind if I-" Harry shook his head and lifted his arms up, allowing the man to pat down his chest and pockets, searching for weapons or a wire. The camera was trained on him and he knew Samuel was watching too. Harry undid the top button of his shirt and allowed the man to see for himself he had nothing hidden there. The man nodded once more and let him enter the room.

The black and gold office of Samuel Seville was lined with books and smelled like leather.

Harry raised an eyebrow, shaking the man's hand before sitting down.

"So, Mr. Styles. What is it exactly I can do for you." Samuel asked. Harry took note of some the book titles he could read, clearing his throat.

"Well you see, it's delicate. I have a lot riding on my reputation, so discretion is key." Harry replied, looking around. "Something tells me this is where I might find what I'm looking for."

"Which is what, exactly? You will have to be more specific."

"Eve. Your headliner." Harry stated boldly, causing Samuel to stare at him hard. "I have a business proposition for you, but it will require me taking her home, tonight, and keeping her for one week."

Samuel laughed at the absurd request.

"You have about sixty seconds to tell me what this is all about. Eve sells out shows at a thousand dollars a seat, and she is booked in for two more tomorrow."

"One thousand a seat huh?" Harry pondered it seriously. "So a hundred tonight and two hundred more tomorrow. Plus interest." Samuel sat back in his chair, looking impatient. Harry pulled a card out of his pocket and jotted down a number... sliding it across the table. "For one week, beginning now."

Samuel picked up the card. The greedy man's eyes shone dangerously.

"I don't appreciate games, Mister Styles..."

"I'm not wasting my time or yours. I am here for one thing." Harry said smoothly. "And she's the only one I want."

"What exactly are you into that you would spend this kind of money." Harry was exercising his most valuable skill: his ability to read people and act accordingly, and he was about to be tested. He took a hard pause to choose his words carefully. To Samuel, it looked like Harry was deciding if he should divulge his secret.

"Same as you, I think." Harry nodded toward his library of titles on the right, "I saw a challenge in her tonight I haven't seen before... that girl needs to be taught how to..." he hesitated dramatically, "behave." Harry couldn't believe the words he was saying, but by the reaction on the face across from him, he had pushed the correct button.