55. Good Girls

"Dad was right." Derek said softly, looking at the syringe in his hand. He seemed like he might just change his mind, but at the last second, he poked my arm, and I bared my teeth in fresh fear, just as he looked at me. "You are special."

The last thing I saw was his sentimental expression before the corners of my consciousness went blurry.

**

Harry slammed the front door behind him as he entered the house and paced to the kitchen. Behind him, his mum and sister, followed by two lawyers came into the house, softly re-closing the door, as if to prove a point. Harry fumed.

No one said a word as his mum set his car keys on the kitchen counter between them. 

Jamie cast him an apologetic look.

"...you can't just storm in there, Harry. Seville has the place on lockdown and he'd be an idiot to keep her there. It's gotta be another location."

"We can't just not check!"

"Harry-" Alvin stood up straight and tall, his arms crossed, as he reiterated the point he made outside, "we cannot break and enter, we can't just storm a person's property, there are laws against that. Not to mention, the cops are involved with this now-"

"-Speaking of cops, have we still not spoken to Myers?" I lifted my hands up as I realized, effectively cutting Alvin off.

"All we were told is that he's been away, but the new cop has the files, and he assures us that Myers has been notified of the status of everything." Alvin replied, nonfussed.

"That's bullshit, he can't still be pissed about the Gala?" I knew my jealousy often brought out the worst in me, but this was a matter of life or death. "I'll call him later, get it sorted." I decided. "We needed all hands on deck, now especially."

"Even more reason to be calculated about this." Jamie weighed out. "We're cooperating with the cops, and you've officially broken your end of the deal with Seville. That means full time security detail, you're facing a real potential threat. It would be stupid of you to show up there alone."

Mum looked at me in that way only a mum does. I felt my anger deflate.

"I'm sorry." I said to her, referring to my short temper before. "Thank you for coming all the way here." 

18 hours had passed, and I hadn't slept or shaved. I'd barely eaten. Everlee was just gone, and my life was in disarray as the search for her took every priority.

My mind seemed to be on a constant loop, replaying the same facts, re-asking the same questions. 

"They brought her to a warehouse, that's where they held her until she could be picked up. Why wouldn't they just bring her to a final destination?" I spoke aloud, "maybe... he didn't want Lundy to know where he was taking her? Maybe it's closer to Maidstone?"

And what about Danielle? Did he have her at the same place? 

I stopped pacing and walked to my office. Sitting down at the computer, I refreshed the webpage that had been open all night, hoping whomever took her would find time to inspect the jewelry. 

"Maybe we should set it up on the big tv?" Gemma's voice came from the door. I peered over the computer at her.

"I'd have to download the software all over again." I replied, looking away from her, leaning against the door frame.

"How long would that take?" She insisted, "let me help." She came closer, forcing me to look at her again. "It'll be easier if we can have the feed on at all times, we can't risk missing anything." She pointed out.