19 ► Together

I was woken up by the sound of rain strumming against the window of my bedroom Friday morning. When I opened my eyes I saw that the clouds were dark, making it clear for me that it wouldn't stop any time soon. I sighed as my arm reached out for my phone. Only seven minutes of sleep were left.

I sat up anyway, not having the patience, stretching my arms and back muscles. My yawn was intense and I shivered as soon as I stood up and left the safe warm place which I called my bed. I took off my pyjamas and quickly pulled a warm sweater over my head, losing the littlest body heat as possible during the process. Once I had put on some jeans as well I made my way to the bathroom. I had slept quite well because I had been so exhausted the day before. I finally felt like I genuinely had gotten some rest.

I got ready enjoying the rain against the roof and the windows. I was so glad it was almost weekend, I remembered I would get a lip piercing tomorrow, together with Calum who would get a tattoo. We would have to go in the morning though since I had my shift at the coffee shop at noon.

As I walked into the school, not much later, I was met with an unpleasant sight which ruined my entire mood instantly. Next to a row of lockers I saw a couple kissing. It wasn't a full make out session but they did seem really happy, cheeks of both flushed as soon as they pulled back. The bright red hair did match quite well with Caroline's blue hair and I would have thought it looked quite cute if the sight hadn't broken my heart completely.

My eyes widened and my heartbeat seemed to have stopped, but before I could do anything Calum approached me and pulled me away through the packed hallway to the opposite way of the love birds.

"Oh my god," I mumbled to myself, voice getting thick. At a point where it wasn't busy, Calum let go of my arm and turned around, facing me.

"I'm sorry I pulled you away like that," he said. "Well, actually I'm not."

I shook my head. "It's okay, thank you Cal." I sighed deeply. "It's not like I enjoyed looking at that."

"I know the feeling," he said so softly that I could barely hear it.

"What?" I asked, confusedly. Did I miss anything?

"No, it's nothing."

"It is, Cal. I know that face. Please tell me what's going on," I said, laying my hand on his shoulder. He looked down with a hurt expression on his face and shook his head.

"Please don't laugh at me," he mumbled. I rolled my eyes.

"I'm your best friend. Whatever it is, I will laugh at you anyway." He softly laughed before getting serious again.

"You know, I've kind of... I have liked Ashton for a while now."

My eyes widened. "Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"You guys hated the shit out of each other, duh."

I laughed. "You could have told me anyway." He shrugged it off.

"Anyway, he and Maria are kind of a thing now."

I could hear that his voice was filled with hurt. "Cal, I'm so sorry," I mumbled before embracing him. "Now we're both stuck in the friend zone." He hugged me back tightly as the bell rang.

"Let's be alone together."